Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocking Horses (iron horses that is)

Rocking Horses (iron horses that is)

I started building two of these Friday for my nephews that each just turned a year old. I'll be using my cnc router to cut out the engine panels. I cut out templates from hardboard, then used a router and a pattern bit to cut out all the basic parts, except for the wheels. I just cut them close and turned on the lathe. I still need to turn the detail on them, just turned them close to see if they would be big enough. I have to do some alignment on my new (to me) $50 Craftsman lathe to true up the tailstock to the headstock.

I used common 2 X 10's to build these. I noticed there are a couple of pieces that had some sap on them. What is a good way to deal with sealing the sap from oozing out of knots and such?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00868.jpg   DSC00873.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Those will be great when you get them done, Darren. Cool idea. And I just might have to steal it. Sorry, but I can't help you with the sap thing. CA may harden it up enough and help seal the weeping, but I really don't know.

Darren, those will be really cool when done!

Sap, I dunno, I usually pitch the board and get a new one
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sap

I saw a post about heating the wood to about 200 degrees and cooking the moisture out of the sap. They recommended keeping a pan of water in the oven with the wood to replace any moisture lost from the wood itself. For me, this would work since the pieces with sap leaking are the wheels and are small enough to go in the oven.

May give it a try, but also considering just putting on 10" garden cart wheels from the home supply store (solid center, no spokes). Just wanted to pass the info along if anyone else is having issues with sap.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Routed out the engine panels tonight on the cnc router.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00877.jpg  
    Darren

Motors cut out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABCD0019.jpg  
    Darren

Looking cool, Darren. What are the rough dimensions? I gather the wheels are about 10". It's hard to tell the scale from the pics.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Lookin' good, Darren!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Looking cool, Darren. What are the rough dimensions? I gather the wheels are about 10". It's hard to tell the scale from the pics.
    Thanks to all for the compliments.

The bike body is about 30" X 15" X 3"; Rails are about 42" X 9" X 1 1/2"; and the wheels are 3" X 9 1/2" but going to see if they have some at the tractor supply with a solid center (no spokes for little hands) as these are kinda heavy. Wondering if the bike isn't too wide, so may have to leave the seat trim off.

I found the plans (free) on this german site. I took the drawing into my glass software program (Glass Eye), overlayed lines on it, then exported to dxf and scaled.

I'll post the dxf files when I get time.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-07-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    Darren

Had to order a new part for my lathe so going with a set of rubber wheels instead since I'm on a tight deadline. Started doing a mockup last night to see how well it balanced out, which turned out to be pretty good. I left about an inch of space on the platform to move the body forward if need be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABCD0002.jpg   ABCD0001.jpg  
    Darren