Candle Stands - Lil' Brothers now done!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
This is a project I've been working on for several months. Not that it took me that long, just that I had trouble deciding on some to the details. Once I made up my mind things went pretty smoothly. My goal is to have them in place for our Christmas Eve candlelight service.
Like the altar, font, and pulpit before, the wood is Lyptus with rosewood accents. The style is kinda Greene and Greene. The details I was having trouble deciding on were how to best attach the base and cross arm to the post.
The base was attached with a 1" square M&T. Then the corbels were attached to the base from below with pan head screws and then to the post. Dowel plugs seal the holes below, rosewood plugs on the corbels.
base.JPG
The floor that these will stand on is not exactly flat, so I provided for countersunk adjustable feet to help get everything sitting up straight.
foot.JPG
The cross arm was a bit more involved. I finally decided to epoxy a nut into the post and then bolt the arm in place. Then I thought about how these might be abused and did not want to think about the arms being twisted out of square, so I put in a couple of biscuits and glued the assembly together. The bolt made an excellent clamp that never has to be removed!
post top.JPG arm bolt under.JPG arm bolt top.JPG

Finally, and the one thing that took more time to decide upon that anything else, was how to mare the cross arm not look like it was just plopped on top. I came up with these small trim pieces that, once the get three square plugs each, will mimics straps that hold the arm in place. They're simply glued in place and got 1/4" square plugs just after the pictures were taken.
trim clamps.JPG trim attached.JPG full assembly.JPG
Last night I put on the first coat of finish. The finishing process is pretty straight forward. I ROS everything down to 220 then hand sand with 220 with the grain and soften the edges. Then I apply a coat of 2lb cut dewaxed shellac. I'll sand this with 320 and follow with 8 to 12 coats of Minwax wipe-on satin poly. The first few coats will get the 320. Once I get past the 4th coat I switch to 0000 steel wool.

I'll post finished pics in a couple of weeks!

Last edited:
It is a little more involved than I was expecting for a candle stand. It looks like it will be very nice when it's finished Rennie.

Lots of work, but should look really nice! :thumb:

Lots of finishing work there too!
Hi Stu! I put 8 coats on the other furniture, but these are likely to be moved more often and may have liquid paraffin dripped on them during candle filling. I thought the few extra coats would help.

It is a little more involved than I was expecting for a candle stand. It looks like it will be very nice when it's finished Rennie.
The ones we have now are just 14" oak disks with a closet pole screwed to it. Not very fancy and the really look bad next to my new altar :rofl:. These will add some additional visual interest and match the other furniture.

Good job Rennie!

Why jobs that seem simple, they always turn out not so simple??
I probably made it more complicated than it needs to be, but then, I owe the recipient big time. ;) A little extra work was no problem.

That is very nice Rennie. With the other wonderful pieces you've done I'll bet it makes a great looking grouping.

That is very nice Rennie. With the other wonderful pieces you've done I'll bet it makes a great looking grouping.
Thanks Glenn! Just think, only 10 more pieces and I'll be done!
Communion table, 2 flower stands, 2 communion cup stands, missal, 2 altar candle stands, Pastor's bench, and a banner stand.:eek:

I don't think I have seen the rest Rennie but if this is any indication of what they look like I would sure like to see the shots of the final grouping! :thumb:

Great work!

DT

I love the simplicity of design and complexity in craftsmanship!
That is a combination hard to beat Rennie. :thumb:

DT

Last edited:
Hi Rennie ,I see you have made some very complimentary choices in your design. I knew you would. Very nice to see you using one of your God given gifts. These candle stands will fit right in. Any recipient would be pleased with your work, In my honest opinion.
Shaz

Last edited:
I love the simplicity of design and complexity in craftsmanship!
That is a combination hard to beat Rennie. :thumb:

DT
Thanks Don - that's exactly what attracts me to craftsman styles, especially Greene & Greene.

Hi Rennie ,I see you have made some very complementary choices in your design. I knew you would. Very nice to see you using one of your gifts. These candle stands will fit right in. Any recipient would be pleased with your work, In my honest opinion.Shaz
Coming from an artist such as yourself, that is high praise. I'm humbled. :eek: As for the recipient, He's pretty forgiving and never points out my mistakes. ;)

Good stuff, Rennie. I like it a lot. :thumb:
Thanks Vaughn! Tonight I get to sand down the shellac sealer coat. If that dosen't take too long I'll get the first coat of poly on as well. Christmas Eve is sneaking up on me!:eek:

Whew! :zzz: 90 minutes of hand sanding with 400! BUT - finally ready for the first coat of varnish. I finished the sanding of the shellac sealer coat on Tuesday and blew everything off with the air hose. Last night I wiped the stands down with MS. Tonight I'll wipe them down again with a tack cloth before wiping on the first coat. The wood has taken on a very deep, rich color. Can't wait for the finishing to be over.
Pictures to follow!:D

Hi Rennie :wave:,
As you work diligently, following the steps as you know best, know your reward will long out live and greatly surpass your hours and effort. Thanks for doing this project and sharing it with us. :thumb:
Shaz :)

The push is on!

Last night I wiped on the first of 8 or 10 coats of varnish. I'm pleased with the results. I love the rich color that Lyptus takes on with an undercoat of shellac followed by a clear varnish. :thumb:
The process from here on will be modified karate kid (wipe on, sand off). :rofl: I'll use the 400 paper on the first two or three coats, then switch over to #0000 steel wool. About a week after the final coat I'll go over it with the #000 and apply some paste wax. This process, though not terribly sophisticated, has worked well for me in the past.
First Coat 1.JPG First Coat 2.JPG First Coat 3.JPG First Coat 4.JPG First Coat 5.JPG First Coat 6.JPG First Coat 7.JPG
Shortly after these are 'on the job' I'll start the next project - a G&G sofa table based on a design by Darrell Peart. I'm planning on using several of the tips and jigs outlined in his book.