Updated - 98% finsihed!

Jeff Horton

My shop is wreck now too. Like Vaughn and .... who ever else it was. I can't work in my shop right now. Finally settled on a new layout and started the machine shuffle! No photos, I took one and the batteries promptly died. To tired to walk to the truck more.

I have the wost ... I think, moved. That was my lathe and the 1500+ lb jointer. Both were moved relatively painlessly. I like what I am seeing too. Was a bit concerned I would get the Great Pumpkin in place and something wouldn't work. Of course I have pull power to it.

The rest is just boring work. Like unloading the wood rack of all the plywood. Cutting it down and reinstalling it as a plywood rack. and then shuffling all the storage racks and the junk in them. I was wrong. that is going to be the worst part!

Last edited:
Good luck Jeff. You are living my worst shop nightmare.:( I've got more - stuff - jambed into my little shop.:rolleyes:

Wes

OK Jeff, if you've really got guts, you should be prepping and painting the floor, too. :rofl:

Reorganization can be a lot of work, but it's worth it in the end. :thumb:

All my heavy machines are on wheels. It's the 21st century, man. Get with the program. :rofl:

Hey Vaughn, if Jeff put wheels on His Machines, with the weight carrying ability of the small sized wheels he would probably have to put so many on each machine that it would look like the undercarriage of a Russian Airliner.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(They only made one size wheel and tire, so when they needed to carry more weight on a larger plane, they just added more wheels).:rolleyes:

That Jointer of his might look really neat though with 8 wheels on each side.:D

Hey Vaughn, if Jeff put wheels on His Machines, with the weight carrying ability of the small sized wheels he would probably have to put so many on each machine that it would look like the undercarriage of a Russian Airliner.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(They only made one size wheel and tire, so when they needed to carry more weight on a larger plane, they just added more wheels).:rolleyes:

That Jointer of his might look really neat though with 8 wheels on each side.:D
You might be surprised what wheels are out there. These are rated for over 1800 pounds each. Four of these should move anything he's got (so far). :)

http://zambus.com/pages/ac1800.htm

Would he need a special CDL to move that around the shop? :dunno::rofl::rofl:

Naaa. Just 3 closet rods (dowels) and a long pry bar to lift it up.

OK, I will come clean. I cheated. I used the lift to pick it up and put the dowels under it. :D Then I rolled it across the shop.

Seriously, you would be surprised what you can move with a few lengths of closet rod. Thats how I move my two benches around the shop. Loaded with tools they are quite heavy. It worked on the jointer too but not as well as the benches.

Got a lot of stuff moved the past two days. Of course I still have a lot to do. The goal was to free us space to build the two kayaks. And of course to get rid of junk that collects.

Well I freed up a LOT of space. It's larger than I expected. Amazing what some rearranging can do. I bet I have more free floor space than someones Dungeon. :) But I don't have those snazzy floors like the blond guy. Wish I did too.

shop-new.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos. Not sure what happened. Maybe dropped the camera one too many times. Anyway, the biggest part of the move involved moving the jointer over to where my bench was. And behind it I moved my lathe. and the shelves. Amazed at how much pace that freed up.

shop-new2.jpg

This was taken standing back near the garage doors. I still have some junk on the floor but I now I have two long free spaces on each side of the bench. Which will be parallel to the boats. Looks like it is going to be this weekend before I can get back to it and finish straightening up. But I think all the time spent in SketchUp planning this was worth the effort.

Last edited:
It's finsihed (except cleaning up)

It's finished! Except for the final clean up an finding some of the stuff a home. And I judging from what I see it was a success! I am amazed at the amount of space I freed up. And I think I am going to like the work flow for the most part. It's not perfect but I can live with it.

shop-new.jpg

First the key ingredient to making the possible. These wood racks. I replaced my grocery store shelves with these. They worked and held huge loads but they took up WAY to much space. I eventually got to where I hated them.

I have been eying this space for a while and trying to come up with a good idea for wood racks. When these went on sale it was a no brainier. I have to stand on the outfeed tables to access most of the wood but I have a good view from there and easy access. Just have to remember watch the first step. It is a dosey! ;)

I made it point to lower the rack on the right so that I have a couple of shelves(s?) low enough to access from the floor for what ever I am working on at the moment. When done I will move the left over up higher and free that up for the current job.

shop-new2.jpg

To much going on in this photo with all he stuff still sitting around, but I moved the jointer (bottom right) to where my bench was. Move the late on the wall behind it, out of the photo. My spindle sander just sits out of the way and rolls out as needed. Unisaw is behind the bandsaw and RAS on the wall. Little Griz BS will be going away once I get back to the big one and finish it up. Mortiser and Drill presses over on the right hand wall. All of them have space so I can walk beside them and access to the other machines. Thats important to me in such a big space.

shop-new3.jpg shop-new4.jpg

Now the main goal of the arrangement. OPEN FLOOR SPACE! I have the bench out in the middle and space for a boat or what ever project is going on on either side of the bench. I can put a 22 foot boat on either side and still have space to work. So building the 16" kayaks will be easy. This will still leave me space for a car or tractor to enter. Gets my mower out of the weather and stored for the winter. But it can be moved if needed too.

If you look in the last photo, back against the far wall you will see my plywood rack. Wasn't sure what to do there. But I had an idea. I took the grocery shelves and cut them down. They were double sided so I cut the legs off and made them one sided. Left the back legs off so it would lean toward the wall. Added some braces to catch the wood on the front and it worked perfectly!

Now if I can just finish cleaning it all up! And I have some more ideas for storage on the walls now.

Great job Jeff and doesn't it feel better? One of the joys of being a hobbyist for me is that I am not on a production schedule to pay the bills. This means time spent organizing (or reorganizing) the shop to make it more enjoyable is time well spent.

I think you will really enjoy being able to move from area to area more freely. Its something from my twisted childhood but, having to maneuver around stuff on the floor and reach out like I'm performing some kind of twisted ballet move just to reach for a tool really sets me off. Looks like you're ready to rock-n-roll.

Now thats gettun the most outa it

jeff i have seen few things before but to be using yur bench while the glue is stilldryin wellthats bein resorcful:rofl: the clamps are still on it yet.. yeah movin stuff can make room and also cause the puzzel to become more diffcult the parts dont always fit according to the picture ont he box.... mine didnt so now i have to push some of them into place..

Looking good bud! :thumb:

heck, I spent the better part of the afternoon just rearranging the area around my lathe, again, to try to make things more functional, and I've still not cleaned up the mess I made making things cleaner.........:huh: :rolleyes: :D :rofl:

jeff i have seen few things before but to be using yur bench while the glue is still dryin well thats bein resorcful:rofl: the clamps are still on it yet....

I tell you I am impressed! What eye site! I am amazed and impressed!!:bow:

Now the truth is that one of the joints broke while moving it because I didn't think. Overloaded it trying to move it. So I clamped it up with the bar clamps to move it. Still can't believe you spotted that! :)

Somehow I missed the wrap-up of this project, Jeff. Looks real good. I'm envious of all your space.

My remodel is going slower, but making steady progress. I'll update the thread here in a minute.

It's like magic when you find that extra space that was hiding! :thumb:

Great job Jeff!

DT