Thread: Powermatic PM 2800 drill press

La Habra Hts. CA

Powermatic PM 2800 drill press

Has anyone purchased one of these or know anyone that has one? I would like to hear some input on the quality, precision etc. Delta is also coming out with their own version but it is taking forever. Then it will be a while before any reviews come out on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Southern Louisiana
    doug, i have only heard one review from a guy on another forum and he was not impressed. can't remember why, but i am pretty sure he returned it.

what about the steel city, i have heard nuthin but good about that one.

hope someone has more info for you.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    The poor 2800 has taken a terrible beating in the reviews of buyers. I hope someone here can post who has actually tried the machine as second hand info is not good and that is all I have. Posts like:

"I've owned a PM2800 18 variable speed drill press since Saturday. It's going back. It vibrates so bad you need ear plugs just to be around it."

And another one:

"I will most likely talk to my PM dealer tomorrow and see if I can return this unit. I keep finding more limitations with this drill press than I had expected."

make me nervous though. I hope to hear some good about this machine as it looks so right on paper.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-04-2007 at 01:04 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Reports like that reflect poorly on the company and it's entire product line. Have to wonder why/how they let something like that get off the assembly line. Where are their QC people?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Tokyo Japan
    I'd buy a used one again in a heart beat, got a good deal and a GREAT drill press, the thing is 45 years old, and has NO run-out at all, NONE!

I wonder how many "NEW" units can say the same?

I too have heard great things about the Steel City tools, I think several guys have them, here, in the Family.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Doug, get yourself a good used Bridgeport. Heck with the DP!
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I ordered the PM2800 back when. I read just to many kinks about it. One guy wrote up a full report of to many things cheaply made for a $1000 drill press. (By the time it got here)
    I canceled it and ordered the Steel City and I am sure glad I did. I can't see any drill press being much better than this one! Not to mention the price difference.

I do wish however, that Steel City would make a wood working table similar to the Delta 17-959L If the Delta table would fit the SC and not cost as much as a complete drill press, I would get one in a heart beat.

Elgin, IL
    Here was a review from Frank Snyder at SMC. It didn't sound to favorable for the price.