Powermatic PM 2800 drill press

Doug Sinjem

Has anyone purchased one of these or know anyone that has one? I would like to hear some input on the quality, precision etc. Delta is also coming out with their own version but it is taking forever. Then it will be a while before any reviews come out on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

doug, i have only heard one review from a guy on another forum and he was not impressed. can't remember why, but i am pretty sure he returned it.

what about the steel city, i have heard nuthin but good about that one.

hope someone has more info for you.

chris

The poor 2800 has taken a terrible beating in the reviews of buyers. I hope someone here can post who has actually tried the machine as second hand info is not good and that is all I have. Posts like:

"I've owned a PM2800 18 variable speed drill press since Saturday. It's going back. It vibrates so bad you need ear plugs just to be around it."

And another one:

"I will most likely talk to my PM dealer tomorrow and see if I can return this unit. I keep finding more limitations with this drill press than I had expected."

make me nervous though. I hope to hear some good about this machine as it looks so right on paper.

Last edited:
Reports like that reflect poorly on the company and it's entire product line. Have to wonder why/how they let something like that get off the assembly line. Where are their QC people?

I'd buy a used one again in a heart beat, got a good deal and a GREAT drill press, the thing is 45 years old, and has NO run-out at all, NONE!

I wonder how many "NEW" units can say the same? :D

I too have heard great things about the Steel City tools, I think several guys have them, here, in the Family. :wave:

I ordered the PM2800 back when. I read just to many kinks about it. One guy wrote up a full report of to many things cheaply made for a $1000 drill press. (By the time it got here)
I canceled it and ordered the Steel City and I am sure glad I did. I can't see any drill press being much better than this one! Not to mention the price difference.

I do wish however, that Steel City would make a wood working table similar to the Delta 17-959L If the Delta table would fit the SC and not cost as much as a complete drill press, I would get one in a heart beat.

DT