Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bedan

The Bedan

Since the first time I saw Jean-Francois Escoulen use this tool, I've had a desire to be able to do some cuts with it, and not have it fly across the room all the time

The last time Jean-Francois was here, I watched intently and I asked a ton of questions. He suggested to us all that we practice 10 minutes a day. Well, I've been doing that for a month or so now, and I can usually make some cuts without having the Bedan ripped out of my clenched fists

Now I hope to continue to improve, and I'll continue to practice, so to mark my ability to keep all of my fingers, I took this video.

The Bedan..............some practice <-YouTube Link

I hope someone gets a kick out of it, and maybe even learn something!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

stu...very interesting and entertaining. the bedan looks to be of the same devilish nature as the skew. coming from me that is not a compliment. i wanted to scream "sandpaper" somewhere in the middle of your struggle with the transition cuts but that would be cheating, eh??

btw, have you found the ornamental attachments at the teknatool site yet? they are only available for the nova lathes at this time but fascinating. check it out at: http://www.teknatool.com/products/Sp...mental_acc.htm
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

Yes, Thank you very much Stuart, what a show !!
    When you can handle it ? Only when you practice, of course.
    But you have to do that with each tool.
    I suppose this bedan tool works much better than a skew, isn't.
    What about making small beads, I read about this in an article written by Brian Clifford, but he use for that a much smaller bedan tool.
    Easier to reach the bottom with such a tool I suppose.
    Further I think it's important to keep an eye on the other point of the bedan tool, and the cutting angle, so only using one half of that tool, else you get a dig in ?
    Thank you for sharing this with us.

Ad

Thanks guys

Clark, this tool makes a skew kids play

Seriously, the skew holds no fear for me at all anymore, when you can get the Bedan going the skew is EASY

Ad, yeah, you have to be smooth and you cannot be timid, you have to cut and move with conviction, any half hearted cuts WILL result in a WAKE UP call, but I love a challenge, and this tool certainly is, I'm enjoying it, for now, I'm not making nothing but a mess, so why not have some fun

Clark, yeah, I've seen the Nova Ornamental turner, and it looks really, REALLY neat, but is it pricey and I've also been hearing some not so good things about quality control even so, I'd sure like to have one!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, once again you produced an informative video. I've never seen a Bedan used before...now I have something new to try once again. Looks like once you learn how to use the Bedan, it makes quick work of wood! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Stu.....I think I'll stay with the skew for a while! I had never seen a bedan used. I'll add it to my future arsenal. Thanks!

Stu that is a great video. I love my bedan tool. I use it quite a lot. If you can master this tool the skew is a breeze.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys, I really do enjoy a challenge, and one that I know, with practice, I can master is even better

I made a second better quality video

Bedan Practice #2
    <-YouTube Link

Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 12-04-2007 at 06:13 PM.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu that is very impressive. I like it. I will have to get one once I get all set up and then start practicing. Thanks for the demo
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Hey Stu,

I have a 1/2" x 1/2" Sorby scraper that I don't use a lot. Do you think that it would work to grind it to the Bedan profile using my wet grinder? It appears from the photos that it would, but was just checking to see if I was missing something. Also, if you did this, I am guessing that the profile is flat along the 30 degree angle and not concave?

Thanks!
    Robert