The Bedan

OK, both videos of Jean-Francois are up, they are edited so take out the "Translation" part of the demo, Jean would speak in English, Mr. Suzuki, or I would then translate, some of the Japanese is still there, but the turning is what you want to see anyways.

Watch the master at work. :D

I'll be putting up another video of Jean showing how to sharpen the Bedan later.

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDPE8i4LiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Fvo4smGZk

OK some further practice and some other Bedan related stuff.

First, I was asked before about the drive center I use, I got it from Jean-Francois when he was here, he was gracious enough to give it to me, nice guy! :D

bedan_jfe_drive1.JPG
Here it is, much longer than most safety drives

bedan_jfe_drive2.JPG
here it is in the headstock, you can see it extends out from the spindle a fair bit. This gives you a lot more space to work, especially on lathes like my DVR where the headstock is a bit bulky. (one of the few things I find I don't like about the DVR)

bedan_oneway_drive.JPG
Here is my OneWay safety drive center

bedan_oneway_drive2.JPG
Same center installed.

Now if you cannot get a drive center from Jean-Francois, (I've been told he sells them, but have not confirmed that yet) then what do you do? :huh:

bedan_mt2_ext.JPG
Well, before Jean-Francois gave me the longer one, I did this, I bought a MT#2 to MT#2 extension or adapter

bedan_mt2_ext2.JPG
With the normal OneWay safety drive in it, it extends out a fair bit....

HI372237.JPG
I also made this little knock out for the OneWay center, as it will get wedged into the MT#2 extension fairly good, just like the knock out or key for a drill chuck.

The only thing I do not like about it, is that the OneWay Safety drive has a much larger cone on it than the one that Jean-Francois gave me, and I've become used to the one I have, but I can use either.

Some more practice.....

bedan_practice_long1.JPG
I was getting sick of eggs, and that is no eggzajuration :D
So I did this instead, it has some advantages, one it is quicker to do a bunch of practice cuts, as you only have to chuck up one piece and do a bunch of cuts,

bedan_practice_long2.JPG
the second advantage is it is NOT eggs! :D :wave:

Cheers!

I finally got around to making a Bedan.

I can turn a curve on the right side, but BOY, does that sucker catch on the left side.

I can see the potential of this tool, Thanks Stu

Practice Practice Practice

First, I was asked before about the drive center I use, I got it from Jean-Francois when he was here, he was gracious enough to give it to me, nice guy! :D

Jean Escoulen must liked you and gave you the drive center.

I took his two week class at Arrowmont. He is a really nice guy.

IIRC, He sold those drive centers to students at $35 each. He has two versions. He has one that has a slightly larger ring for larger spindles.

You do real well with those bedans. :thumb::thumb:It is a difficult tool to learn.

Stu

Have the corners been "softened"? I find that the sharp edges dig in and mar the tool rest. Or is the intent of the sharpe edges to anchor the tool during turns?

Terry

Terry, you mean the edged of the square part of the tool, the shaft?

If so, then yes, but ever so slightly.

Gordon, Jean-Francois is truly a very nice guy, and a very good teacher as well. I was lucky enough to spend a whole day tramping around Tokyo acting as a tour guide for Jean-Francois and Eli when they were here the last time, they had a good time, I made sure of that.

Ron, everyone has their good side and their bad side, I've started to switch hands for each side, as the head stock of my lathe get in the way all the time :doh:I'd not recommend this to anyone, as turning with the wrong hand forward (than you usually do) puts you back to square one, but I'm making gains on it!

Practice is certainly the name of the game! :D

Thanks Stu.

I'm always switching hands, using a different hand forward. I think my problem was not enough clearance on the bottom of the cut. I was turning big beads on a long spindle.

The finish cut on the right hand side is really clean, amazing actually.

In your video you suggested using the corner edge to make the cut. When using the Bedan in a planing cut I found it easier to use the center of the tool. I also hold the handle higher, maybe I was just lucky the first time I used it. Lets see what happens the next time:D

Enjoy!

Stu,

Very interesting stuff. I've never seen or heard of a Bedan before. Reminds me alot of my 1/2" mortise chisel. Enjoyed watching your videos. Great job of sharing your techniques and information. Really does seem to remove a great deal of wood quickly while leaving a nice surface. Thanks for making the videos which are such good learning tools.

Regards (and go Stars), :D

Stu
After watching your video on the Bedan I bought one and at first was thinking, OK this is how Stu does it,but, what else can this thing do? Slowly I am finding out this baby is a good tool to learn. One thing I like about it is how easily it can cut a tenon on all my turnings. Thanks Mitch