Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shed Foundation

Shed Foundation

I'm starting to design my long overdue shed. It's going to be 8'x12'. I'll be using some recycled 2x8's from our deck that I am removing. It's being replaced with a stone patio.

So for the shed foundation, since I'm using 2x8's I was thinking that I could run them across the 8' span so they would be more load bearing. I could then sink 6x6 posts on the outer perimeter for support (every 2' - 3'). I'd only have the post about 4" off the ground. This would be essentially the same as a house foundation.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Small shed. The 6"X6"s seem like overkill. A 4x4 will support a lot of weight.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

What you are proposing to do will be more than adequate.
    Cheers, Frank

Your just under the limit for the rim joist in the 12' direction mate so your good to go. Use 4X4 posts at 4' centres onto concrete pads.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

I was going to sink the posts below the freeze line in concrete. The other option would be to use deck blocks (concrete blocks placed on the surface with a gravel pad.) I could go with a 4x4 post with no problem.

If its pretty flat where you're going to put it I'd go with deck blocks and save yourself the aggro of digging.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Patrick - It is very flat. So maybe a 6" gravel base and then deck blocks. I never look forward to digging piers!

Patrick, I would only be concerned with the insects and rodents looking for a dry place to call home. I am replacing the floor of my shed this coming year with concrete as it was attacked by both of those and moisture. I fell through when I walked into it. Just something to think about.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Sorry Patrick I ment to reply to Mike. Must be that age thing creeping in
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Drew - I agree about the animals nesting etc. I was planning on installing wire mesh around the foundation to keep them out. If I elevate the foundation by a foot them I should get enough air circulating to keep it dry.