Shed Foundation

Mike Gabbay

I'm starting to design my long overdue shed. It's going to be 8'x12'. I'll be using some recycled 2x8's from our deck that I am removing. It's being replaced with a stone patio.

So for the shed foundation, since I'm using 2x8's I was thinking that I could run them across the 8' span so they would be more load bearing. I could then sink 6x6 posts on the outer perimeter for support (every 2' - 3'). I'd only have the post about 4" off the ground. This would be essentially the same as a house foundation.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Your just under the limit for the rim joist in the 12' direction mate so your good to go. Use 4X4 posts at 4' centres onto concrete pads.

I was going to sink the posts below the freeze line in concrete. The other option would be to use deck blocks (concrete blocks placed on the surface with a gravel pad.) I could go with a 4x4 post with no problem.

Patrick, I would only be concerned with the insects and rodents looking for a dry place to call home. I am replacing the floor of my shed this coming year with concrete as it was attacked by both of those and moisture. I fell through when I walked into it. Just something to think about.

Drew - I agree about the animals nesting etc. I was planning on installing wire mesh around the foundation to keep them out. If I elevate the foundation by a foot them I should get enough air circulating to keep it dry.

When I built my 8x12 shed, I put it on blocks like these:
DSCF1339.JPG

Just the concrete part, though.

I used 21 of them and treated 4x4 posts bolted to the 2x6 joists. The shed sits on a slope so after placing the corner blocks and posts, I leveled the floor framing. Then I put three blocks and posts at every other joist. Maybe it's more support than needed but the shed has been sitting there for four or five years and no problems.

It sits up high enough at one end that the critters don't seem to think of it as a could place for a home.

FWIW, I designed the shed with 8' sidewalls and built 2x4 trusses for the roof with a bit of attic space. Still, it's not big enough. If you can build a bigger one, do it.

Dave - that's exactly what I'm planning on using. I'm going to set the 2x8's directly in the blocks. I should only need about 10 or 12 since I'm using a 2x8flooring joist.