Question from a rookie finisher...

I have a small project that I have been finishing over the last few days. After applying stain, I applied four coats of General's Seal-A-Cell varnish, sanding with 320 grit in between coats. Here is my question...now that I have applied the fourth and final coat of General's, is that it? Am I to now rub this finish out? I want this item to gleam, and show of the curly maple grain. What am I to do.....if anything?

Thanks!!

- Keith

I have a small project that I have been finishing over the last few days. After applying stain, I applied four coats of General's Seal-A-Cell varnish, sanding with 320 grit in between coats. Here is my question...now that I have applied the fourth and final coat of General's, is that it? Am I to now rub this finish out? I want this item to gleam, and show of the curly maple grain. What am I to do.....if anything?

Thanks!!

- Keith

I'd put a couple coats of Arm-R-Seal on it now. It's made to go over the Seal-a-Cell. It's a harder finish that polishes well after it's cured.

Thanks, Jim.

Would the Arm-R-Seal get sanded with 320 between coats as well? Also, what would be the ideal method of polishing?

- Keith

Yes, it would. Final polish would be to sand to 1000, or more, then use a polishing compound, then wax. I use a Meguiar's auto polishing compound, and prefer Reniassance Wax (it's expensive, but it works well.) I think LV has a micro-crystalline wax that's cheaper, but I haven't tried it yet.