Simple Spalted Birch Bowl

Figured everyone here was probably tired of the hollow forms by now - so here is something a little different. Spalted white birch from a tree I cut down on my folk’s property earlier this past summer. The bowl is 11” x 3 ¼”; Watco Natural and buffed.

Simple Birch.jpg

Any and all comments are appreciated!

Thanks for looking!:wave:

Lookin' great Steve !! Same question as Stu ... how punky was it? And ... what sort of finish was it that you put on it?

cheers eh?

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I managed to time things right when I cut up all my blanks in July and August and caught the birch before it became punky! Did find a few sections that were bad when I was cutting everything up but I just threw them aside.

Finish is Watco 'Natural' Danish Oil - 2 coats and then waited 4 days and buffed it out.

Steve, I for one am not tired of your HFs...but this bowl is a nice diversion:D Wish I got lucky with the spalting...lost an entire birch log, because I left it out to long...well done:thumb:

That's a very nice bowl, Steve. Pretty form, great finish, and the spalting looks like you caught it at just the right time. :thumb:

And I agree with Neal...the photos are looking real nice. :clap: