box challenge

At our December turners meeting, the monthly challenge is to turn a box. To get into the holliday spirit, this will be my entry. It's a snowman, but it is also a double box. It was made out of scyamore with texas ebony and yellowheart for the accents. Not sure what to do with the hat, leave it natural or paint it black.

We are also having a "wobble off" using femispheres that we learned to make at one of our past meetings.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• snowman box2.JPG
    snowman box2.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0253.jpg
    DSCN0253.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 42
  • snowman box.JPG
    snowman box.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 20
  • snowman box3.JPG
    snowman box3.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
Beautiful Bobby! :thumb:

Could you maybe find a black stain or something where you might still be able to see the grain? :dunno:

DT

Very Cool !

Nice job Bobby, I have wanted to try that for a while now. I make a lot of snowmen and wanted to change it up some. The femisphere is outstanding !

Vaughn, do a google search on femispheres. You should get plenty of information and ways to make them.

There is also an howto article on our woodturning club web site, bayouwoodturners.com

Bobby

Those are cute. I have never made a box, need to try soon. You can use acrylic paint for the black hat. Just dilute the paint and apply successive coats until you reach the degree of opaqueness/translucence you want. That's an old woodcarver trick.