Sketchup Animation

Ron Fritz

I'm doing some animation of my Sketchup models but I'm not pleased with the quality of the video clip. Is there a way in Sketchup or is there another related tool that I can use to create animation of a Sketchup model that is of better quality then what I'm getting out of Sketchup now? I attached an example. Thanks for you help. Ron

Attachments

• Step Stool-Animation.zip
    74.8 KB · Views: 42
Call me a low-brow, but that animation looks pretty good to me! Are you looking for smoother transitions (more frames) or some other improvement?

The animation (or movement) looks OK but I wasn't pleased with the quality and clarity of the graphics. The graphic output that I see in SketchUp is not the same that I see in the video. Ron

I have no idea how one would even go about creating an animation in SketchUp, but the fact that your video has an "avi" extension prompted me to do a Google search for "AVI lossy lossless" ... because I wasn't sure which type of compression is used for AVI files.

I ran across [THIS PAGE] which seems to have some good info, such as:
  • Uncompressed AVI files are huge.
  • AVI’s popularity and extensibility depend on the fact that you can freely select different video and audio codecs.
  • With AVI, you can just switch to a better codec.

Hope this helps in some small, oblique way.... :dunno:

The video animation was created right out of Sketchup using the "Export/Amination" feature. The "AVI" format was created by Sketchup. I'm running the Pro version on my desktop PC and the free version on my laptop. Thanks for all your help. Ron

Ron, you could do a couple of things to improve the image quality if you want. You can change the size for the AVI export--click on Options before saving. You could also replace the AVI with a collection of JPGs--make them larger as desired--Options again--and then put them together in a video using a program such as VirtualDub.

One thing you might also want to do to improve animation quality is make more copies in the radial array and then more scenes. This will reduce the jerkiness.

SketchUp will interpolate changes between camera position between scenes. It won't do that for the copies of components that are turned on and off. the only way to improve the appearance of object movement is to reduce the distance between copies.