Thread: Book Case for Christmas

Bloomington MN USA

Cool Book Case for Christmas

What started out to be a small little book rack to set on top of my Great Granddaughter's dresser got a little out of hand. Next thing I knew I was searching through my wood supply for enough material to build a very strong book case for a 8 year old with a 3 year old brother. I used my ussual tounge and groove construction. With glue and pocket hole screws for a child proof assembly. Also rounded corners on the top to keep the 3 year old from getting knots in his forhead. Used all oak except for the bottom floor of the case.... Had to use birch there as I ran out of the 3/4" oak plywood. Face frame and top are all soild oak.

Indianapolis area
    Looks like the kids have a very nice piece of furniture. I like the rounding of the corners/edges for safety.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

ABQ NM
    Looks real nice, Ron. I'll bet it'll be around when those kids are off in college.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Nicely done Ron. For sure it will be around when she has her own little ones books/toys to store.

Bedford, KY
    Great job, those kids will get a lot of use out of it. Good thinking on rounding the corners, to protect your greatgrandson.

Constantine, MI
    I like it Ron! Nicely done.
    BTW, those dents in the cabinet must have happened before you rounded the corners, right?
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Tokyo Japan
    Looks great, they might not really appreciate it at 8 years old, but I'm sure the bookcase will be around long enough for them to appreciate it for sure.

Nice work!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward