Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Assembling the New Toy

Assembling the New Toy

In case you missed it in my Shop Remodeling thread, Santa arrived a bit early at our place this year. A PM 3520b showed up in my driveway a couple of days ago, and I got it assembled last night. I figured I'd share how a guy with a wimpy back puts together a 630 pound lathe. Much of the credit for this goes to Ken Fitzgerald. Without his idea for using a ladder, I would have had to rent an engine hoist.

Lots o' pics, so I'll stop talking and let the pics to the work.

Here are the main two boxes. The little hole in the end of the box was the only shipping damage. A tiny scratch to the paint, in a non-noticeable place:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PM3520B - 01 800.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	15069

First order of business was to get it out of the driveway and into the shop. Using a good ladder, a cheap comealong, some scrap lumber, webbing and chain, I had a poor man's hoist. You'll notice the spreader (scrap 4/4 redwood) I used to keep the chain from pinching the box.

Name:	PM3520B - 02 800.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	15070

I got one end up high enough to get a furniture dolly under it to about the midpoint.

Name:	PM3520B - 03 800.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	15071

No pics of lifting the other side, but since I had the dolly under the center of the pallet, I was able to level the pallet on the single dolly. It only took another light lift with the hoist to raise the end enough to slip another dolly under the pallet. From there, it was a pretty easy push into the shop:

Name:	PM3520B - 04 800.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	15072

Everything was well-packed and secure. The two rectangular boxes in the upper part of the pic are the legs.

Name:	PM3520B - 05 800.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	15073

After lifting one of the legs out of the box, I learned that there was no bottom to the cardboard box. The sides (and top) of the box lifted off easily, leaving this:

Name:	PM3520B - 06 800.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	15074

I was planning to install heavy-duty casters (they arrived today, so they go on tonight, right after I post this), so I needed to drill out the holes in the feet a little bigger to accept the 12mm studs on the new wheels. Even though I didn't have the casters yet, I knew I wouldn't be able to drill the holes after assembling the lathe, so now was the time. The cast iron drilled relatively easy and quickly:

Name:	PM3520B - 07 800.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	15075

Next, I moved the hoisting rig into the shop and set up to lift the first end of the lathe bed.

Name:	PM3520B - 08 800.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	15076

After I relieved the weight from the heavy end, I was able to dead lift the unattached end and push the pallet (still on the dollies) out of the way. I set the loose end down on a spare piece of cardboard just to save the floor paint. I started noticing the ladder wanting to tip towards the lathe a bit, so I set the 82 pound extension bed box on one of the ladder outriggers. That firmed things up nicely.

Name:	PM3520B - 09 800.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	15077

Without too much trouble, I bolted the first set of legs onto the bed. You'll notice I'm using the feet that came with the lathe. They have a slippery nylon pad on the bottom, and I figured they'd protect the floor until I can get the casters on. After the first set of legs was attached, I moved the hoist to the other end. Here's a shot of things before I lifted the second end:

Name:	PM3520B - 10 800.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	15078

More pics, but not enough space...to be continued...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn.....that's exactly how I assembled mine. It worked well!

I'm going to do the same thing for the MM-16 as I could not rent an engine hoist tall enough to get it off the pallets but my ladder is tall enough!

But Wait...There's More

After getting the second set of legs on, next up was the extension bed. I'm opting (for now) to put it in the lower position. The empty box that it came in was almost exactly the right height for installing it. Much easier than I'd anticipated:

Name:	PM3520B - 11 800.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	15080

And here's how it looks with the extension bolted on:

Name:	PM3520B - 12 800.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	15081

Here's the business end when it's set up in bowl-making mode:

Name:	PM3520B - 14 800.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	15083

For reverence, that's a 24 inch rule. It's about 19 inches from the bed to the spindle:

Name:	PM3520B - 13 800.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	15082

So...that's how a lame longhair assembles a heavy lathe by himself.

Name:	PM3520B - 15 800.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	15084

I'm still waiting for the electrician to get my garage subpanel installed, so it's going to be a little while before I can get it dirty, but as soon as the power's on it, I'm gonna get it all messy.

To round out the gloat, I either have coming soon, or recently got:

Gast vacuum pump
    Vacuum adaptor
    Vacuum gauge and necessary fittings for a constant-run system
    Supernova 2 chuck with 50mm, 45mm spigot, and Super Jaw sets
    1 1/4" x 8 tpi buffing adaptor
    1 1/4" x 8 tpi spindle tap
    1 1/4" x 8 tpi tailstock chuck adaptor
    1 1/4" x 8 tpi faceplates (two 2 1/2" plates from Don Pencil)
    Remote On-Off switch
    Monster Articulating Arm Hollower

I figured I'd equip it well from the start. Now I need to save up for a coring rig.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Vaughn.....that's exactly how I assembled mine. It worked well!

I'm going to do the same thing for the MM-16 as I could not rent an engine hoist tall enough to get it off the pallets but my ladder is tall enough!
    As I said, I totally stole the idea from you. Many thanks.

Now hurry up and get yours dirty. You don't want me to beat you in the race, do you? Sparky is starting Monday with the electrical work.

workingwoods.com

Vaughn congrats on the new lathe. That is one good looking machine. I am happy for ya buddy. Merry Christmas early. Have fun.

I am hoping Santa will be good to me. I would like to add a extension to the Nova so I can use the monster tool on it, get rid of the C-man and I am thinking real seriously of adding a Vega 2600 to the stable. That is if Mrs. Santa is in agreement.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 12-07-2007 at 04:17 AM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congratulations Vaughn.
    Man, do you ever SUCK!!!!!
    No, really, I mean that from the bottom of my ever so jealous heart.

SWEET! Welcome to club Mustard, Vaughn. Hhmmm, strange coincidence. The lathe I had just before I got mine was a 15" Craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    For reverence, that's a 24 inch rule. It's about 19 inches from the bed to the spindle:
    I'd say that's appropriate.

BTW, I am a bit jealous. Mine didn't come with the bed extension, tool rest extension and bowl rest, but I'll get them when needed. I need a bigger shop first though.

So where are the sawdust pics already? Dude, you are gonna LOVE that lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Burt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'd say that's appropriate....
    I would usually go back and edit a typo, but that one's too Freudian...I've gotta leave it.

I didn't know you were a fellow member of the Craftsman lathe club. Despite my cursing it from time to time, it served me well, and some nice pieces were made with it.

I was seriously tempted to chuck up a dried rough-out, sprinkle the area liberally with chips out of the dust collector, and take a picture to make Fitz squirm, but I figured that'd be mean. Fun, but mean.

workingwoods.com

High on mustard!!!!!

Man I ready wheres the hot dogs & buns?

Oh I thought someone spilled the mustard.

It'll be looking better Vaughn when we see it spinning & chips flying.

Good better best never let it rest until it spinnin with chips bouncing off your chest.

Just be sure to get out the ribbons for the long haired dude. Just don't tie the ribbon to tight or your voice will get high too.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

That is one beautiful piece of engineering!

Congrats Vaughn!