Assembling the New Toy

Congratulations Vaughn

Thanks for the pics, not to hijack your thread but I plan on doing the same thing tomorrow morning. I was considering lifting one end of the bed like you. Any idea how much the bed and the head weighs together.

I need to go from my garage, around back to my basement shop and go down 6 cement steps. I plan on using a appliance hand truck.
Congrats back at ya, Ron! Seems to be a lot of Mustard getting spread around these days. ;)

I couldn't tell you a guess on the bed and head weight, I know I could not budge it off the pallet by dead lifting it myself. Two people can easily remove the headstock though (or one strong person), and the individual pieces (bed included) should be moveable with the hand truck.

...I'm not sure I understand the low bed extension thingy but am sure you will show how it's used later.
In a nutshell, you slide the headstock to the right end of the lathe, and put the tool rest on the lower bed. (There's a riser stem for the tool rest post, to put it back into the centerline area of the turned piece.) The effective spindle height is 19 inches at that point. Sort of like outboard turning, except the tool rest is still mounted to the lathe.

Or, I can move the bed extension to the upper position (flush with the main bed) and have a 53" long bed with a 20" swing.

Big congrats Vaughn! I think the membership of Family Woodworking is keeping PM afloat all by itself. We should be getting a discount on the gold!

BTW, what’s the load rating on that ladder? :eek::D

I couldn't tell you a guess on the bed and head weight, I know I could not budge it off the pallet by dead lifting it myself. Two people can easily remove the headstock though (or one strong person), and the individual pieces (bed included) should be moveable with the hand truck.

Thanks, Vaughn.

I have to move the monster myself too. Luckily, I have moved heavier equipment before, but everything was on the same level

I have a 2 ton come-along to lift and place the bed down on the hand truck. If I had to I could remove the headstock the same way. I just figuring it would be nice to leave headstock on. One less thing to play with. I guess it might be safer to get the bed as light as possible

"250 lbs. load capacity"!!
Thank goodness for the design safety factor.:)
Got that right! I can't help but wonder if that's the "per rung" load instead of the "full" load. At least I had the load spread across two rungs. Also, I wonder if that figure might be for when the ladder is in the horizontal (scaffolding) configuration. The "A" frame configuration should be the strongest.

I did at least have the presence of mind to stay out from under the load at all times. I've worked around construction cranes enough to have a heightened sense of awareness about that kind of thing. ;)

I have a 2 ton come-along to lift and place the bed down on the hand truck. If I had to I could remove the headstock the same way. I just figuring it would be nice to leave headstock on. One less thing to play with. I guess it might be safer to get the bed as light as possible

Ron, we only had to go up one step, but it was all Charles and I could do to carry the bed into the shop from the truck. No hand truck and no lift. But we took it slow and easy and got it there. Oh, and we took the headstock off. It slides back on very easily. And Charles is a hoss! I've lost much of my strength from my oil field days so he took the brunt of it. Just be careful and don't get in a hurry. I know that's hard not to do. At least it was for me. I was very excited about getting it up and running.

How did I miss this one? :dunno:

Beautiful Machine Vaughn! :eek:

I am afraid that one would be over my head. :huh:
I still have to learn how to use the Mini lathe. :rofl:

I can't wait to see the great projects "roll" off that thing!

DT

Congrats Vaughn on the new Christmas gift. That is one nice piece of machinery. And considering the the pieces you turn I'm sure you will put it to fine use. Merry Christmas.

Congrats back at ya, Ron! Seems to be a lot of Mustard getting spread around these days. ;)

In a nutshell, you slide the headstock to the right end of the lathe, and put the tool rest on the lower bed. (There's a riser stem for the tool rest post, to put it back into the centerline area of the turned piece.) The effective spindle height is 19 inches at that point. Sort of like outboard turning, except the tool rest is still mounted to the lathe.

Or, I can move the bed extension to the upper position (flush with the main bed) and have a 53" long bed with a 20" swing.

OK. clever.

Ron......Last weekend I assembled my PM the same way as Vaughn.

Vaughn....chime in here if you disagree..

I'd guess the 2 leg assemblies go about 80-100 lbs each. Let's say 80....

I'd guess the weight of the tail stock at around 30-40 lbs....let's say 30

I'd guess the weight of the banjo arund 20 llbs.......

so 2 leg assemblies...160 lbs total.....add another 50...210 lbs......from 626 lbs......makes the left over weight of the lathe bed and head stock around 416 lbs......

The head stock I'll bet goes close to 100 lbs...probably more.....

So let's say the bed is around 300 lbs......

If I had to maneuver stairs...I'd get somebody to help me remove the headstock for 2 reasons.....less weight on the bed and protect it from damage. It is the one piece that has the most fragility because of the electronics sticking out the back end of it.

The bed could be handled on a handtruck IMHO but I'd remove the head stock. Good luck!