This is a segmented vase that I did a while back that had an accident. The LOML knocked it off of a table and chipped the base and put a small knick in the side. I figured out a way to re-turn the bottom by cutting a piece of wood down to a taper, inserting it into the mouth of the vase and then using the steady rest to hold it onto the taper. I then used the tail stock to hold the vase up against the taper and re-turned the middle. It actually worked out fairly well. Then it was just a matter of sanding and finishing.
7" high, 30 pieces of walnut and 30 pieces of maple, Waterlox original finish.
All 3 photos are of the same piece from different view points. It seems to change color due to the vase having end grain on two sides.