Antique Demo Chairs

glenn bradley

LOML's mom and her sister received a pair of these as presents in 1944 from a family friend who owned a furniture store. The story I'm told is that furniture makers used reduced scale models as floor pieces so folks could order full size pieces of the ones they liked(?).

She is after me to repair some failed dowel joints which I am OK with. She also wants them refinished to which I am opposed. They do look like chairs that have been used by children. They have since been used as decorative pieces throughout the years.

Seats have obviously been re-fabric-ed (is that a word?) but the original finish is cool although damaged. I'm in favor of a good cleaning and leaving the finish as is. Anybody want to back me (or her) as far as refinishing?

Attachments

• JansChair-1.jpg
    JansChair-1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 36
  • JansChair-2.jpg
    JansChair-2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Al. Excellent info for the uneducated (me). I too fell under the impression that refinishing was bad. She has been offered $1000 for the pair but states that she will never sell them as she plans to hand them down. It seems I should reconsider the refinishing question. This brings to light that I am probably no where near qualified to refinish the pieces and maybe should recommend a professional if she feels strongly about the appearance (?).

Glen I have posted some info from another WW forum on my posting ( if that is not too confusing) about the antique furniture I am dealing with right now. You might find something useful there in dealing with the finish. Like you and I guess many others besides myself we are less than knowledgeable about restoring old furniture. Hope this helps a bit.

Drew

Glenn,

I wouldn't hesitate to refinish those. They're not something left over from the revolutionary period, after all. Now, if you're looking for a way to avoid the hassle, that's another story... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I'm not convinced about the demo story. Most demo pieces were considerable smaller. They did, however, make children's chairs and furniture, of that quality. Expensive, they were, and rare to find in as good of condition as you have. I too would go ahead and refinish the chairs and if possible open and reglue the joints. But I would not "Strip" them. as that would result in sanding and re-establishing a color and all the tripe that that offers. Sinse these don't have paint or other deforming coverups i would like to preserve the Patina (actually Patina is the green associated with carroded copper but we often misuse the term to fit our needs) and the dings and scratches created by the fun and gaity of children over the years and generations, Too fine of a finish forbids future generations from enjoying them ("...she will never sell them as she plans to hand them down.")

I would determine the finish material and use an appropriate thinnner to clean the surface. Possibly use a product like "Formby's" that cleans and dissolves old finishes, leaving the wood intact. After dressing up the piece, I would finish off with Gloss Wipe-on Poly (I would select Gloss as you can bring down a shine but cannot brighten a semigloss as semigloss has chemical reflactors to prevent any glossy reflextion. Several coats of Wipe-on poly w/scuffing between, allow a couple of days for hardening and finding places that need improvement. give a rub-down with Pumice & oil to optain the sheen that you desire.

Looks like a great project and the results will be a fine keepsake, the already imbedded scars from your M-I-L and Aunt's playing and growing up enjoying the chairs will remain with this type re-finish approach and a good poly finish will be able to withstand future distressing childplay.

Your next project should be to make an appropriate Queen Anne Style Table to accompany these chairs.

Last edited:
Cool chairs, Glenn. Makes me think of the miniature tent models that are sometimes displayed in stores. I always wanted one of those.
...(actually Patina is the green associated with carroded copper but we often misuse the term to fit our needs) ...

I agree with your suggestions Bill, but the wordsmith in me feels compelled to point out that "patina" is not at all limited to just copper. Messrs. Webster, Thorndike and Barnhart agree with me on that. ;) Patina on wood, leather, granite, etc. is not misuse at all.

We have listened to the twins on AR many times. I have come to the conclusion that most furniture will benefit from refinishing. A piece in the $50,000.00 to several hundred thousand dollar category might be different. Most of us want to have a nice looking item in our house. Museums and serious antiquities collectors have different priorities. You have my permission to refinish. ;)

Many times when I refinish a old peice I try and leave as many of the dings and such wear marks. Refinishing the furniture like that shouldnt be to bad as there are not alot of carvings or tight curves. For strippers I use a brand called Kllen-Strip sold at homedopt. Just make sure you have a good resperator and good gloves. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

besides the repair, I would clean them and then as Bill said, use the Formbys and see how it looks. I have had very good look with Formbys in the past and many times it evened out the "Old Finish", (including color) so well that I just waxed and buffed them with no other additional finish. Give it a try, following the directions on the can using steel wool to apply and work the old finish. The thing I really like about that is that it is Quick and SO EASY, compared to other finishing methods,and you may be surprised how good they look.

Glenn, if you are really concerned about the value of the chairs and the impact of refinishing, FIND A PROFESSIONAL APPRAISER. I am not trying to downgrade the recommendations given here as I am sure they are given in the best of faith.

Yes, you may spend some money having an appraisal, (I would go for two appraisals,) but then you would have good evidence and a professional opinion. We have my wife's grandmother's rocker. We had it repaired and refinished years ago. The first thing I heard from a person in an antique store was that we had ruined it by having it stripped and refinished. Do I trust that opinion, probably not, but it did get my attention.

Glenn, if you are really concerned about the value of the chairs and the impact of refinishing, FIND A PROFESSIONAL APPRAISER. I am not trying to downgrade the recommendations given here as I am sure they are given in the best of faith.

Yes, you may spend some money having an appraisal, (I would go for two appraisals,) but then you would have good evidence and a professional opinion. We have my wife's grandmother's rocker. We had it repaired and refinished years ago. The first thing I heard from a person in an antique store was that we had ruined it by having it stripped and refinished. Do I trust that opinion, probably not, but it did get my attention.

i second that motion glen was gonna suggest it but at the last post ken done it for me,,,ask the appraiser to tell you what he thinks about the refinisher or reworking of said chairs as well.... rarety makes value in a hurry!!!!!

Cool chairs, Glenn. Makes me think of the miniature tent models that are sometimes displayed in stores. I always wanted one of those.

I agree with your suggestions Bill, but the wordsmith in me feels compelled to point out that "patina" is not at all limited to just copper. Messrs. Webster, Thorndike and Barnhart agree with me on that. ;) Patina on wood, leather, granite, etc. is not misuse at all.

Actually Vaughn it comes from a Greek work Patane' referring to a flat METAL plate used in the celebration of the Eucharist, as most plates of the time, were copper or Bronze they were often discolored in a green oxidation, thus the term Patina for the green oxidation on Copper or Brass or Bronze. Over time it has become a common referance to any gradual aging of other substances as well.

Glenn, if you are really concerned about the value of the chairs and the impact of refinishing, FIND A PROFESSIONAL APPRAISER.

Thanks to all for the responses. I'm not sure about the story of what she's been offered for the chairs as stories grow with time and she's had a lot of time (just kidding). She never intends to use the chairs as anything other than sentimental valued items. I just didn't want to be the one who did the damage (if any) when (if ever) someone wanted to liquidate the items ;-)

I took one by a restorer. Even a so-so slam bang strip/repair/finish (not a restoral) was going to be $200 each and I'm sure she doesn't want to go down that road. I'll give them a little love in the structural areas and see how the idea of refinishing grows on me. Working on a poor piece that was LOML's grandmother's doesn't have me liking it so far. The process isn't unrewarding, its just that the piece in question was never a quality piece in the first place; silk purse / sow's ear and all that.