Glenn's Shop Tour Dec 2007

glenn bradley

Well I've realized its foolish to wait till I "get done" to do a shop tour because that's never gonna happen. Here's a wander through where I am at this point complete with all the fodder that comes and goes and just happens to be here now.

First some "before" shots. Here's the old west wall with my new bench top under construction sitting on a bench-stand I was keeping long enough to see if it became useful.

1-Bench-Temp.jpg

Here's a "before" shot of the front right corner. The shelf hanging from the rafters is the last piece left from the previous owners.

2-Messy-Corner-1.jpg

This is a "before" shot of the right rear corner showing that there is some potential here if I get organized.

4-A-Little-Open-Space.jpg

This is what I was normally faced with while trying to work. Something always had to be moved to get to something else so I could do something. A lot of somethings just didn't get done because it was too much of a pain to get an area to work in or get to the tools needed to do the work.

5-What-Problem.jpg

So, after some decent effort I now have the storage wall reasonably available. These cabinets hold everything from screws, jigs, tools and supplies that are just stock or rarely used. All against the back wall and out of the way.

6-Storage-Wall.jpg

The right rear corner now sports better lighting, good access to the DP with bits and other stuff nearby. The pipe clamps still live behind the swing out toolbox as I have yet to improve on this solution.

7-Rt-Rear-Corner.jpg

A shot of the front left corner. Excuse the dresser that LOML insists must be restored and painted ** sigh **. The new electrical sub panel is in and the wall is white, the lights are better positioned, etc.

8-Frt-Left-Corner.jpg

Here's the right front corner viewed from the tail vise position. Its not as ugly as it looks I have a better pic later on. Narrow shelf to the right of the big door holds finishes, glues, wax paper, etc. in an area that would have been wasted. The beat up white wall is my next target.

9-Rt-Frt-Corner.jpg

This is an intermediate left rear corner. My cut-off bin and plywood storage divide the laundry from the rest of the shop and provide a dust free barrier for my clothes washing and hanging area . . . . Boowahh-ha-ha-ha.

A-Wood-Bin-Corner.jpg

Here's a shot back across the RT/TS combo at the new wall, Those things that will hang from the cleats are still under consideration and will shuffle about a bit, I'm sure.

B-TS-and-New-Wall.jpg

The lawn mower doesn't usually sit in the middle of the shop either but it actually rained last night. I swear, I looked out and the ground was actually damp. In SoCal that's almost call for a no-school day. We can't expect our kids to go out in "this" ;-)

More in the next post . . .

Last edited:
Glenn's Shop Tour cont'd

This is some more of the new wall showing a hanger for my planer sled and straight edge jigs. Once I got them off the lumber rack, I could get the wood off the floor and then move stuff around . . . . well you get the idea. The TS sleds are carefully guarding my little Delta DC that I use for the TS.

C-Jigs-Blades-and-DC.jpg

These were old kitchen cabs thrown out by a neighbor. they got cleated to the wall and will turn white along with the rest of the "ugly" wall as a next phase.

D-Rtr-and-Sndr-Storge.jpg

This ugly beast has a CleanStream filter and a two-stage run. The extension cord is Velcro strapped on to activate the vacuum when whatever hand tool fires up at the other end. Amazingly dust free sanding when combined with my shop made overhead ambient filter. Oh, my little compressor lives down there too. I've had a hose reel for him that has been sitting in the box for a year waiting for me to get to that wall.

E-Vac-and-Presser.jpg

The bench.

F-Bench.jpg

The tail end of the bench with a little storage added out of the way.

G-Bench-Tail-Storage.jpg

Here's a shot across that old bench-stand that I held my bench top on during the build. It was almost out the door and then redeemed itself by volunteering as an outfeed / extra space surface that didn't have to be well treated. You can see the little Bosch that is currently triggering the ShopVac via my anaconda hose/power cord doo-jobber.

H-Outfeed-reuse.jpg

And here's that 'better' shot of the front right corner. My flip top planer/sander stand and an old drawer unit hang out there. There are also some small cut-off / scrap bins back there. This will all be refined a bit when I get to this wall's rebuild.

I-Frt-Rt-straight-on.jpg

Thanks for tagging along. Hope this helps anyone with ideas of what to do or what not to do to make their shop right for them ;-)

Last edited:
Looks like a pro shop going together there Glenn! :thumb:
A shop is like a glove, it just has to fit. ;)

DT

Nice work there mate....I badly need a ambient air cleaner. Where did you get the blower for yours?

Home Depot gable fan. On sale about $35. 1050 cfm. Be sure to leave an adequate airspace between the inlet filter and the fan. Mine needs to be rebuilt as this air cavity is about half the size it needs to be and I have since learned that it is affecting the performance although it works quite well. I just had to remove on of the inlet filters. I had planned on two and will factor this in on the rebuild. Built in in a Saturday. I will also add a timer switch in the rebuild. About $15 at the Borg.

You've got a nice set-up going on there, Glenn. I can sure relate to the "never get it all the way done" bit. I think we just keep starting over from time to time. ;)

You've got a nice set-up going on there, Glenn. I can sure relate to the "never get it all the way done" bit. I think we just keep starting over from time to time. ;)

And then there are those of us that start over BEFORE we are finished. :huh: :doh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

OOOHHHH NOOOO...........

This ain't right.

I don't see a space for YLOYL's car!

Mine, LOML, insists her vehicle be garaged every night!:(

Joe

Great remodel, Glenn. Keep the pics coming

Great shop Glenn, it is coming together nicely. What is the square footage?

I've got a usable 20' x 30' less room for the water heater, washer, dryer and a small freezer. I thank the original purchasers for not taking the 4th bedroom option on this floor plan. I gives me a 10' x 20' level pad at the rear of the standard 2 car garage.

OOOHHHH NOOOO...........

This ain't right.

I don't see a space for YLOYL's car!

Mine, LOML, insists her vehicle be garaged every night!:(

Joe

Great remodel, Glenn. Keep the pics coming

One of the perks of bachelorhood. LOML has her own place a couple miles away ;-)

nice tour glen

how do you like the power cord reel you have hangun up there? and dont the bins have trouble hanging on the door when it opens????/ it is never ending journey trying to get all in its place i just got dun moving a shelf unit t6o the other side:huh:just wasnt int he right place when i tried doing other things there..... wonder what gets moved next:dunno: