Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw oil/fuel mixture?

Chainsaw oil/fuel mixture?

I have a McCullock homeowner grade chainsaw and cannot find my manual. What is the normal oil/fuel mixture ratio for a chainsaw?

Looks like it depends. From a random [All About Chainsaws] page:
    Manufacturers recommend a gas/oil mix ratio from 16:1 to 50:1, depending on the type of two-cycle lubricant used.

Big help, huh?

I hate to be the one to make a reccomendation that might ruin your saw. Older small engines like that used to be anywhere from 20:1 to 40:1. Newer ones do well with 50:1 mixtures.
    But, still, I would check with the manufacturer to be sure. Small engines can be finicky. My Stihl heavy-duty brush cutter won't even start with anything other than Stihl oil being used.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks for the quick answers guys! Looks like that I am going to have to look for the manual some more. I looked on line at the McCullock site but did not see an on line manual. I guess that it is a little risky to just guess. It is a 2004 model so I am thinking that 40:1 might be OK.

What's the model number? Maybe some WWW whiz out there can find the manual that you and I can't....

I can't help on the oil/gas mix. I will add that Stihl recommends using midgrade gas instead of regular. They say it runs cooler.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Here's the answer :

• Any saw owners manual will qualify the mix ratio by saying to use "their brand" of two cycle oil.
    • If you read the back of any two cycle oil container it will have multiple ratios shown - why? ... marketing.
    • Mixing oils are made with different viscosities. Homelite oil used to be required to be mixed at 32:1. Stihl oils used to be required to be mixed at 40:1 and now Stihl oils are mixed at 50:1 - the difference is the viscosity.
    • A 32:1 oil mixed at 32:1 will give the exact same lubrication as a 50:1 oil mixed at 50:1 does.

So ..... if you buy oil which shows as having the leanest possible mix as being 50:1, then mix it at that. For a bit of insurance, make it a "bit" richer and mix it at 40:1 but don't mix it too rich. Fuel which has too much oil in it will not burn completely and will leave carbon deposits in the cylinder and crankcase, especially if it is run too slow and cold.

Now .... here's where I contradict myself , There are oils out there which say on their labels that they will mix at extremely thin ratios such as 100:1 and will also mix at very rich ratios as 16:1 - I leave those oils on the shelf - I tend to distrust those sorts of claims.

For your McCulloch, buy Stihl 50:1 oil, or Husqvarna 50:1 oil, or Castrol Super Two-Stroke 50:1 oil and either mix it 50:1 or 40:1 - I use Stihl at 40:1 in ALL my two-cycle equipment, even my old Lawnboy.

This is also how I've trained my customers to mix and after 17 years I've never had a customer have an engine failure due to the mix ratios I've provided.

cheers eh?

This is really great information!!!!! Thanks! Looks like that I am on my way, manual or no manual.

Model number is McCulloch CS 38 EM. Looks like that it is no longer on the market.

For my older saw, I ran it at 32:1 I think that is a very safe mix, but I will also bow to John's expertise, except, I like the smell of the Castrol Super oil

One more thing, the more oil in the mix, the less gas, so it actually runs leaner.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    For your McCulloch, buy Stihl 50:1 oil, or Husqvarna 50:1 oil, or Castrol Super Two-Stroke 50:1 oil and either mix it 50:1 or 40:1 - I use Stihl at 40:1 in ALL my two-cycle equipment, even my old Lawnboy.

This is also how I've trained my customers to mix and after 17 years I've never had a customer have an engine failure due to the mix ratios I've provided.

cheers eh?
    Now I know why my Stihl dealer told me to just use my 50:1 Stihl 2 cycle oil mix in my 40:1 Shindawa weed eater, which by the way, was purchased from him as well.

thanks for the explanation.

joe