Atomic Clock Radio?

Bill Grumbine

Greetings all

A number of years ago I received an atomic clock for my bedside table. It is in the process of dying. The one feature I really like about it is the one that is doing it in. It has a push button feature so that the backlight is always off, but by pushing the button, the backlight comes on for a few seconds. This is a great feature for someone who likes it as dark as possible. But I am now looking for a replacement. I would like one with a radio as well.

I can't seem to find one.

Well, I can find piles of them, but none with this particular feature. Can anyone here help me out with this? I am looking for:

atomic clock
radio
momentary backlight switch so the light is always off but comes on briefly

Thanks.

Bill

hmm, i am still using the same digital clock that i bought in the Fall of 1980 when I was a Jr at Illinois and had moved into an apartment.

hmm, i am still using the same digital clock that i bought in the Fall of 1980 when I was a Jr at Illinois and had moved into an apartment.

Sheesh, with all that MM hardware, you’d think you could spring for a new one! :rofl:

Bill, it’s not atomic but the Bose wave radio readout is very faint when the lights are off and brightens with the lights on. They sound great too.

I've only encountered the momentary backlight on battery operated "atomic" clocks. If you're going to plug it in, they generally don't worry so much about the backlight, especially now that the backlights have a really long life.

I'll just add an "off topic" comment. I really like those clocks, also. Not only are they *accurate* but they automatically adjust for daylight savings time. I want that feature in every clock in my house - and I'm gradually getting there.

Mike

Hi Bill.

We have an "atomic" clock from Oregon Scientific. It has one remote temperature sensor and gives the inside temp. along with the barometric pressure. It has the night light feature that is activated for a couple seconds by pressing on the front of the clock base.

Take a look at the Oregon Scientific website to see what they offer.

Thanks for the links and suggestions guys! Joe, my first "digital" clock lasted forever it seemed. I got it in high school, back in the 70s, before LEDs and LCDs were being used. It was a whole reel of thin metal plates with numbers on them. Every minute there was a soft click as the plate flipped to the next one. Every hour there was a louder click, and at midnight there was a loud CLICK when the whole reel flipped over! I got tired of listening to it, especially when it woke me up. But anyway...

I like the atomic clock for several reasons. First, it always changes on its own, sort of like the clock in my cell phone, and it is synchronized with that clock. Second, with the battery back up, it does not lose the time if the lights go out. It is not unusual for the power to blink around here for just long enough to put the clocks out of commission. Being self employed, it does not bother me, since I lounge around most of the day anyway. :p But it makes SWMBO real cranky if she gets up late for work. And I hate having to go around and change all the clocks for DST. I would say more about that, but it would be political speech. :eek:

I would go with just another clock, but I want the radio now, not because there are any decent radio stations anymore, but rather because I just upgraded my XM radio for the truck, and now have a home dock for it that can play through the home radio. However, the momentary light trumps the radio, so it may be just a clock after all.

Bill

I just had to delete 2 paragraphs I was trying to submit addressing the poor design of alarm clocks because it was sooo negative. I hadn't realized I was so adamant about the lack of good design available . . . there I go again! I better give up.

I would like to hear from anyone who has found a decent alarm clock of almost any kind. Decent in my opinion means it is easy to set, you can hit snooze without turning it off and other basic functions are easy a groggy mind ;-)

I just had to delete 2 paragraphs I was trying to submit addressing the poor design of alarm clocks because it was sooo negative. I hadn't realized I was so adamant about the lack of good design available . . . there I go again! I better give up.

I would like to hear from anyone who has found a decent alarm clock of almost any kind. Decent in my opinion means it is easy to set, you can hit snooze without turning it off and other basic functions are easy a groggy mind ;-)
Bose Wave again. Ours sits on the dresser across the room. When I want to snooze I just grab the remote. If I can do it in dead-head mode anyone can, it takes me a good 45 min to get fully awake….:eek: