DVR or TiVo?

Bruce Page

LOML has dropped a few strong hints that she would like a DVR for Christmas. Do you guys have any recommendations? I would probably want to go with a Hi-Def unit. Should I be looking a the TiVo or go with a straight DVR setup.
Personally, I don’t see a whole lot that’s worth recording on TV but that’s another story…

Bruce,

I went with a DVR. Our cable service had a HD DVR for just a couple bucks more than the plain HD receiver. Works nice, we end up recording all sorts of stuff for the kids. Our 3 year old loves Scobby Doo, I think last time I looked there were close to 50 shows of just that recorded. I've done some woodworking shows and football games but its mainly used by the wife and kids.

Randy

dvr

we have the hd dvr from dish network. did the dish deal to get better reception. it records around 100 hours and you can back up live tv if you missed something. it feeds two different tv sets.

LOML has dropped a few strong hints that she would like a DVR for Christmas.

Personally, I don’t see a whole lot that’s worth recording on TV but that’s another story…

And here I thought she was debating whether or not to ask for a lathe or a TV recorder! :huh:

Go with the Nova DVR. It'll give her lots more fun! :p

Bill

We use a DVR from the cable company and find it enormously handy. Record lots of stuff for later viewing. Use the 'pause' button for interruptions, etc. My son tried to give us his Tivo and we found it lacked features of the DVR.

I actually have the DVR function on one of my computers. Vista has all the software for it but you have to add a TV tuner card to your PC and run the cable to it. I get the standard "TV Guide" functions, just like a Tivo.

I have two disk drives in my computer - I use one for the DVR function so that I don't interfer with my computer operations. I could connect the computer to my TV but mostly watch things on my computer monitor which is as large as a console TV.

Mike

I'm a Directivo fan myself, so I prefer the Tivo interface. What there is that is decent to watch, is available whenever I wish, and I Only have to watch the content, not the commercials. So I'll recommend Tivo, well worth it.

I'm another TiVo fan, but like Ned, I have the DirecTV version of it, so it has two tuners and other differences compared to other DVRs. It's my understanding though, that DirecTV has stopped offering TiVos, and are now using a different DVR system.

We've got two TiVos in the house, one for me and one for LOML. Mine hasn't been watched (except sometimes for Sunday brunch) in over a year, but LOML's TiVo works overtime for her. (Even though I'm not watching mine much at all, it's still catching a few shows that I want to have on hand.)

After using a DVR (TiVo or any other brand), I don't like watching live TV any more. Even if I'm watching the 6:00 news, I'll watch it a little behind real time so I can zip through the commercials.

Bruce, I was in the same boat and went with DVR. I already had Dish HD so it was the easiest route. It seems that many of her coworkers had digital recorders and were bragging about the benefits. Of course, she still makes me program her recordings, but that's another story.

Thanks guys, I’m still mulling it over but I’m leaning towards the TiVo TCD648250B Series3 HD digital recorder that’ll record 300 hours normal and 25-30 hours in HD.
Kind of pricy but I remember paying $650 for a TOL Sony VCR just before they went dirt cheap. :rolleyes: