Rimmed Maple Candy Dish

A few pieces of maple that I roughed out this fall have a white line separating heartwood from sapwood. I’ve never seen this before and have to admit that I like the effect!

Had a couple of knots that I left in when roughing. Course, they cracked but I filled them with Accu-Glass (epoxy) mixed with bronze powder. Looks like you poured gold into the cracks!

Maple Dish: 8” x 3” x ~1/4”. A couple of coats of Watco Natural, then 3 coats of Minwax Gloss Poly on the inside only – then buffed. Sorry about all the photos but to me this piece looks different with each angle!

Rimmed Maple View 1.jpg Rimmed Maple View 2.jpg Rimmed Maple View 3.jpg Rimmed Maple Inside View.jpg

Comments and or critiques are always welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Wow, I really like that one, Steve. Very pretty wood, and I like what you did with it.

And no need to apologize for posting a lot of pics. Those folks who don't want to click on them don't have to. Those of us who want to, can. ;)

Hi Steve:wave:,
Really glad you showed the different views of that bowl. It takes on a new personality from each direction. It is exciting the way the seperation has been made by the line. Fine piece!
Shaz :)

Steve, I really like the form on this! What kind of bronze powder did you use? I have some cracks that I need to fill too. Well Done.:thumb:

Steve, you are one busy fellow!

You are putting out one nice piece after another!

ps. I cleaned my vacuum pump and it is working great. I think that should be your next project.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Jeff - I came across a small can of bronze powder when I was cleaning out my folk's garage this past summer. Figured it belonged to my Grandpa - who had his own painting business and back then they mixed their own tints - but I'm not for sure. The label on the can is fairly well worn off but I can still see: Helius Palegold Brilliant, United States Bronze Powder Works, New York, Copyright 1923

Not sure that will help you locate any bronze powder... but it seems just about anything mixed in epoxy works.

Pete - glad to hear about you getting the pump back up and running. You are right - I have to start thinking about setting up a vac system.