Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compressor question?????

compressor question?????

ok i know i am not the only person who likes to have things in somewhat of an ordely manner here so i am going to ask a possibly foolish question.... we all know that you get rust in the supply tank on compressor's i have a large compressor that had been remved from a factory and it need some rework.. i took the water drain off to get the plumbing back into shape and the drain elbow was full of rust.. so my question is should i attempt to clean out the rust from the inside of the tank and if so any suggestions on how.. i can get at the back end and could use a piece of bent conduit to scrape it inside blindly and then suck out the crude with the shope vac,, i know i wouldbget it tall but i could get alot of it.. so whats the verdict just leave it and filter the air coming out real good
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

That is a good question Larry.

I guess if you took the pump off and the drain petcock, then flushed it out, it would NOT hurt, but I do wonder if it would be worth it?

Flush it out with water only, I guess....

Well, we shall see whom else chimes in on this one?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Larry, it almost sounds like the problem we run into with rusty gas tanks when we restored cars and tractors. Your compressor tank is larger than a gas tank so I can't give you any help as to how we do them, however there is a guy over here who can take care of your rust problem.

He owns a company called Central Michigan stripping. I have used him a couple times and he does great work. What he would do is submerge your tank into his vat of chemicals and let them sit for a period of time. When he pulls them out of the vat you will have zero rust...nada, zip, zilch, nothing inside, outside or in crevices.

If you are interested I will get you his phone number and arrange a visit....while you are there you'll see a "mini" Gilmore car museum, he has some interesting old autos.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Please be careful Larry. There is a reason why industry has "pressure vessel" regulations and bad corrosion will undoubtedly weaken the tank. Exploding pressure vessels are one of the less fun things that can happen in a workshop. I hate to be the killjoy but if there is a lot of rust in the elbow then who knows what else is happening. Personally I would want to get the tank checked - look in the yellow pages or google for compressed air engineers.

Steve's solution may be great to get it shiny and bright but the demands on a air tank and the demands on a gas tank are quite different.

how rusty?.......scale might be a sign of the tank walls weakening?...if the rust is minor then treating it with a "good" rust conversion product from an auto paint supply house is an option, just dump it in- slosh it around and wait for it to dry.....chemically stripping or cleaning the tank would scare me.....175# of pressure x 80-120 gal is a big BOOM!....
    as a last resort quincy is based out of quincy ill. and will sell loose tanks that are certified solid. (usa made!)
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

plant line closed

was the reason it was eliminated it was deemed to rusty ian,, but thanks for the heads up. its 80 gal tank tod, and just little to big to be dipping and paintin. the outside is good and i dont see the need for 175lbs pressure?????just need around 120 to run anything we normal run unless i missed the boat here somewhere? have been to the site and they are very helpful...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley View Post

Steve's solution may be great to get it shiny and bright but the demands on a air tank and the demands on a gas tank are quite different.

Good points Ian, I have an unfair advantage, I saw his compressor and I didn't think it was bad enough that any dipping in the chemical solution would be that bad since the tank isn't very rusty and therefore it wouldn't weaken it. I guess it is like my scuba tanks though, you can't see what is on the inside unless it is hydro (?) inspected.

Larry, save yourself the hassle and buy a new tank or ask for one for Christmas....that is, if you have been a "good" boy.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ...just need around 120 to run anything ....
    That's about what I run mine at but you have to bear in mind that inside that 80 gallon tank the air really wants to occupy 640 gallons of normal pressure air space. If the tank lets it do that in a hurry there is a lot of energy flying around. Compressor tanks are too cheap to take that risk if you are even a little bit uncertain of its integirty. If its bad enough to think about the measures that you are talking about I wouldn't let you fill it with air while I was in the room. If it doesn't need them then the less it is messed around the better as far as I am concerned.

if the tank doesn`t look bad? and just has "some" rust that`s to be expected. tanks used by quality manufacturers are tested to exceed all federal specs, often 10x over! i know quincy literally blows tanks to see where and when they fail..
    most 2-stage pumps are set to keep tank pressure at 175#ish, that way when you install your regulator set to 120# you`re assured of 120# on the regulated side regardless of where the compressor is in it`s cycle stage.
    check the date and place of manufacture posted on the tank itself, that should give you a clue to the tanks condition....if it`s a usa made unit you can probably call the manufacturer and ask their advice....
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Auto supply places sell kits for cleaning and coating the insides of gas tanks. You can check into this and see if it is worth it.