Maple Bowl w/Scene

OK, I suppose my imagination is just working overtime but looking into the bowl I see something – do you? Yeah, I know… I’ve been turning too many bowls!

This is maple 10 ¼” x 3” with a 3/8” rim rapidly tapering to a ¼” thick bowl. Included a few additional photos as the bowl looks very different depending upon viewing angle.

Maple Scene Top View.jpg Maple Scene V1.jpg Maple Scene V2.jpg Maple Scene V3.jpg Maple Scene V4.jpg

Comment and/or critiques are always appreciated.

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Very nice, Steve. Very unique and pretty wood for sure. You're a regular turning machine lately. :p

My only critique would be to lighten the pics just a tad. They seem a bit dark. Other than that, the bowl looks spot on to me.

REAL nice bowl, and the first pic does look like a dessert scene or something, just add a few cowboys and your set :D

Dunno about the pics, I'm at home on a VERY old apple monitor that is not working so well anymore, everything seems dark on this monitor.

Steve, is this a kind of mass production what you are doing lately.
Anyway very nice to see another bowl from your hands, and I like that.
Oh yes this is a very nice bowl, very well done :thumb:

to get to your question yes i see a picture in the bowl it appears t ma s a mountain ridge coming in from the rt and left that alloes the little bay to form from the main ocean out in frt... there is that what you saw???/

Thanks everyone!

Vaughn - I knocked the balance down 1 notch - back where I had it before. Hopefully that will lighten things up a little without losing color.

Stu - if the photos seem to dark to you - let me know and I will bump the balance even more.

Ad - no mass production here. Spent my summer cutting blanks and roughing out all sorts of bowls and hollow forms. Soaked things in DNA and am only now able to start finish turning them - so it doesn't take that long to have a finished turning for posting.

Larry - You nailed it! Didn't know if my mind was playing tricks on me or if others would be able to see what I did.

Larry - I'm located about 7 miles south of Marquette, in da U.P., and a little less than a 1/2 mile from the coast of Lake Superior.

I adjusted the brightness and added just a little contrast to the first photo. The color of the bowl looks closer to natural - at least on my monitor. Let me know what you guys think!

Maple Revised View.jpg

Last edited: