New Canuk

Irv Graham

Golden Greetings http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/wave.gif
:wave:
Joining the woodworking forum from the Rocky Mountains of Canada. We operate a B&B Lodge which we built from our forest ten years ago, with woodmizer bandsaw mill, and lotsa blood, sweat and tears.

We have a woodlot that grows douglas fir, western red cedar, lodgepole pine, spruce etc. Bought our own LT40 Woodmizer, so now have growing stockpile of side lumber, character wood, slabs and butts that needs thoughtful utilization, inspiration and more in my undertooled workshop.

Have built recently log post style bed, adirondack chairs, benches and tables for personal use.

Forum interests: I have spent time learning to use Google Sketchup, Timberframe shed, chair and bed, but need to learn more; keeping tools sharp and maintained(patience lacks); cost effective upgrades and simple jigs for tablesaw, 10" bandsaw, 12" sliding mitre, old woodturner missing pieces, and desire for mortizer, and eventually a small CNC woodcarving device.

This forum seems friendly, responsive and has some excellent craftsman that don't mind sharing their projects, knowledge and assistance. I will be an infrequent visitor, however I may have some unusual projects, questions and contributions.
Have a Great Day
Irv

Welcome Irv! Wow - you have some varied interests! I predict you will be a welcome addition to the family and one who's advice is regularly sought.

Welcome Irv!!

I'm originally from Kelowna BC, not far from where you are.

Golden is certainly a nice spot.

We like pics, and I'm sure you are in one heck of a nice place for pics, so when you get some to share, please do.

Cheers!

Golden

Thanks
The lodge greatroom has fir t&g flooring, fir post and beam, pine t&g trim, plus cedar, and aspen.
I was cutting cedar bevel siding on the mill in the next image.
Last image shows our woodlot on the Canyon Creek Trail which follows the rim of the canyon.

Attachments

• Alpine Meadow indoor.JPG
    Alpine Meadow indoor.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 18
  • woodmizer3.jpg
    woodmizer3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 20
  • CanyonCreekTrail.jpg
    CanyonCreekTrail.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 17
Irv, like Stu said we like pictures and you have showed us some beautiful ones....great looking logde with beautiful views at the wood lot. I've seen a mill like yours in action before, great piece of machinery. :thumb:

Wow - members from both Golden and Kelowna. My Dad and I passed through both towns on Days 5 & 6 of our [2003 Motorcycle Trip to British Columbia]. That was in mid-August and everything was on fire :( so when we got to Golden we decided not to bother going up the hill to Banff, figuring that we wouldn't be able to see anything anyway. (I still haven't been to Banff.)

We stocked up at a grocery store in Golden. A couple days later, coming back into the States, I had to open my big mouth about a can of Nalley's chili that we hadn't eaten. Because of the Mad Cow scare, the customs officer made me go through my luggage to find it (quite a pain) only to discover that it was labeled a "Product of the USA" and was therefore all right. :doh:

I remember Kelowna too: the entire hill SE of town was on fire, with a mushroom cloud hanging over it as though an atom bomb had been set off. The day was sweltering hot, and traffic through town to the bridge just inched along. Riding along the shore after we finally "broke through", we watched as firefighting planes skimmed the lake to pick up water to drop on the fire.

Thanks for the memories, guys! :thumb:

Last edited:
Golden 2003

Yes 2003 was a bad fire season, when over 300 homes in Kelowna went up in smoke and closer to Golden, the Kootenay National Park fire kept smoke in area for almost a month. That why we have cleared most trees 30 feet or more away from buildings, have metal roofs, and have stucco on lower level of the lodge.
Irv

Welcome Irv! I have stayed overnight in Golden a couple of times withingthe last 5 years, but I am sorry to observe that I missed a great opportunity. Oh well, I am sure that I will be there again sometime. It's a great part of the world.

It certainly sounds like you could contribute a lot here. Don't be too infrequent a visitor.