Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My circular saw is dying

Herndon VA

My circular saw is dying

My 10 year old Black and Decker circular saw is dying. I've been doing a deck tear down and I think I've reached its useful life . Now when I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood it bogs down.

So I'm looking to replace it. Any recommendations on a good saw that will last? I was looking at the Millwaukee 15 amp saw. Is worm drive overkill since I don't use it that much except for light construction and rough cutting plywood before I take it to the table saw?

a mag 77 is bulletproof!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Tokyo Japan
    If you are going to get a new one fine, but have your checked the brushes on the old B&D? if they are worn out, could be your problem.

I have a Festool as my main circular saw now, but I also have an old 7 1/4" Makita, that for the life of me, I cannot kill We had an old steel frame storage building that I used this saw with an abrasive blade on it to cut up, went through a couple dozen abrasive blades, and that saw never missed a beat.

Others do make great circular saws, I do think that the worm drive saw is a bit overkill, as they do work well, but man they are a boat anchor if you don't need that power.

Is the saw size important for you? I mean if you have a few blades for the old B&D, would be nice to stay in the same size blade.

A cast aluminum base is nice too, the stamped steel ones can and do get bent out of shape.

I'm sure the others will jump in with their recommendations.

Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 12-12-2007 at 05:02 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

lutefisk capitol, USA
    since i never do anything heavy or thicker than a 2x4 and also being left handed, i replaced my craftsman 7 1/2 with the 6" left hand porter cable. lots of power, light weight and quiet. plus i can see what i am doing.

Punta Gorda, Florida
    The Milwaukee tools that I have are first class so I would not hesitate to buy anything they have if it is what I need. As tod says, the PC Mag77 has to be a great tool also.

If you do not need a worm drive saw and 7 1/4" is large enough the PC 325Mag, or left hand version of that saw, might just fit the bill. I have one and really like it so far.

Yes, Milwaukee makes excellent tools, but let me throw this in.

The group of men that framed our house back in '02 used only Mikita circular saws. They claimed that they beat anything else they had used, including Milwaukee. These boys used their saws hard, and they just kept running. They also used Marathon blades from HD because they worked well, didn't cost a fortune, and were readily available at any HD.

Just another voice....

DSM, IA
    My dad gave me a makita for christmas about 7 or 8 years ago...not used every day, but plenty of use with no problems whatsoever!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    The Makita worm drives are pretty much indestructable, but they're heavy - and expensive.

Since you're replacing a B&D - not a worm drive, I'd suggest the Makita 7". HD has it for a bit over $100.00.

Another one - my personal favorite - is the Porter-Cable 6" SawBoss. Great little saw; left blade; 6" blade will cut a 2 X 4 at 45; and it's light weight and easier to handle than the bigger saws.
    Jim D.

Have a Mikita for about 12 years old. The worst thing that has happen is my daughter cut the cord in two. Replaced it with a
    12 foot cord. The best thing I ever did.

My second choise would be

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Indianapolis area
    I also thought of checking the brushes on the old B&D. And I also recommend the PC Saw Boss. Great little saw.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi