Anyone here with a laser (epilog etc) ?

I'm looking to have some 16-18ga aluminium logo's cut to fix onto my products (approx 1.5W X 2.25 H. I could cut the things out myself if I had the money for a scroll saw and the patience.

Does anyone here have a engraver or know anyone who could do this at a decent price? I'm looking to get a dozen to start with.

Thanks

Patrick, I know Pete Simmons and Nancy Laird both have laserators. Lee DeRaud also has one, but I don't know if he's actively seeking outside laser jobs right now.

That said, I'm not sure if their machines will cut aluminum the way you want. I'm betting Nancy will let you know soon. ;)

That said, I'm not sure if their machines will cut aluminum the way you want. I'm betting Nancy will let you know soon. ;)

Yep, Patrick, we have two laserers :D, but we have never tried to cut aluminum. Tell you what I'll do...I'll try to cut a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil on the machine and get back to you. I don't know whether it can be done on a laser, or whether you're gonna have to go another route.

Nancy (8 days)

Cut aluminum? No...right machine for that job is probably a water-jet. (Unless somebody here has access to an industrial laser in the 100W+ range.)

The way these machines are usually used with aluminum is to engrave/etch the color layer off a precut anodized aluminum plate.

Last edited:
Tell you what I'll do...I'll try to cut a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil on the machine and get back to you. I don't know whether it can be done on a laser, or whether you're gonna have to go another route.
Careful: it's not that hard to get beam bounceback into the optics...which can get very expensive.

I was thinking that these things can cut parts from thin stock so I assumed that it would be able to cut thin aluminium. I guess it really should be done with a water jet.

I looked up on smc and found a guy in the same state and he did me a couple of tests just engraving the plate. Hopefully they'll look the buisiness.

I mentioned to hubby about trying to cut some foil, and he said "Don't do it!!!" So I won't, and I'll take Lee's advice. Sorry!

Hope you find a way to do what you're wanting to do.

Nancy (7 days)

aluminum cuts easily with a tablesaw or mitersaw just use a "nonferrous" metal blade.....under 100$ at most supply houses.

Seems like I've seen some metal-finish plastic material that's laserable...would something like that work?

(I have no clue what kind of "products" you're going to attach them to.)