Glass cabinet - finished

Niki Avrahami

In Memoriam
Good day

So here she is finished...

The sides and doors glasses are 5/32" thick attached with strips and screws...just to be on the safe side in case my wife throw something on me and misses....

The back is a mirror, backed with 5/16" plywood that is held also with screws...for the same reason...

The shelves are 1/4" glass

Regards
niki

V01.jpg

V02.jpg

V03.jpg

V05.jpg

V06.jpg

V07.jpg

Thank you so much

Don
I'm "not guilty" for the design...it's my wife's job
Yes, I made also the other units...you can see them a few posts down "TV stand".

Jeff
My wife said that another unit on the other side, will be "too heavy"...and I said, Aha...the rest of her "collection" is stored safely in the attic :)

Regards
niki

Thank you so much Nancy

Yes, I made also the "credenza"....I did not know that it's called credenza...for me, it's just a cabinet or in this case - TV stand...(I searched Vikipedia for "credenza"):eek:

Regards
niki

Excellent job, Niki! The whole set is very attractive, and finely crafted. A tip of the hat to your wife for the design, and a pat on the back to you for the realization of the design.

Bravo :clap:

Thank you so much Vaughn

You know, from one side, I don't have any problems with my "client"...that's what she wanted - that's what she got but...I don't know if you had this experience, in the middle of the work: "Can you make it like this"...."Oh sure, I'll just change the plan a little bit"...

Two days later..."Actually, it might be nicer if you can make it like that"...."Well, uuum, ok, I'll make the change"...:(

It repeats itself 10 time on every project...now you can understand why I don't make any cutting list...I'm cutting one step, finish and than the next step...

No really, she is ok...she use to work with me for a few years so she knows what I can do with my tools (and skills) and she is "tailoring" the project accordingly...did you noticed that all her designs are square...well, she don't like the rounded ones...to my good luck...:eek::eek::eek:

Regards
niki

Niki, Very beautiful. My wife wanted something similar, when I researched the project, the glass was going to be the most expensive part. Did you use tempered glass for all of it or any of it. Everyone I consulted with said that 1/4" plate was not strong enough and I should go to 3/8" tempered for the shelves and tempered for the doors too and the sides.

I would be interested in hearing the details.

Thanks.

Tom

Guess I did not read the details on your first post. I was so busy looking at the pictures. Again, the whole project is beautiful.

Tom...

VERY nice, as alway Niki! :thumb:

I've got to make something similar for a cigar display case for my Liquor shop, a display "Humidor"

I've been having a wonderful design discussion with my lovely wife on this item for over a year now, I will not start the project until she agrees to a design, it will be all Walnut and that Walnut is very expensive here, so I'm not cutting and re-cutting boards because she wants a design change :D

I had hoped to get it done this year, but it looks like it will be a job for the coming year, I usually have a bit of down time in January, so I hope to get it done then.

How many total hours do you think you have in the case?

If you were to do it again what would you change, or do differently?

Cheers!

Thank you so much for your kind words

Tom
I used what we call here "pictures glass" that does not reflect the light like a normal glass.
I think that 1/4" glass for the shelves is ok...the shelves are 38" x 20" and I don't see any sagging.

Stu
Yes, it's difficult with the wife...that's why I leave her the design...well, to be true, if I would design it, it would look more like router table...:eek:

It took me about 3 weeks but, I was working very slowly...every time I made a glue-up of a panel, frame, carcass or doors...that was the only work for that day (I use Polyurethane glue that must be clamped for at least 3 hours and... not enough clamps, not enough space - as usual).....

The staining and painting took me some 3~4 days (5 layers of "Nitro lack", they use it here as a finish for wooden floors, very durable and dries within 4~5 hours.
Also, I had to wait for the mirror some 3 days (they had to order it).

What would I change ? well, it's not my decision so I asked my wife and she said "nothing"...

As for the work, I think that I would change the joinery method from dowels to loose tenons (floating tenons), now that I made the "rolling mortiser" for the router table...

Best regards
niki

Hi Niki

I saw you using the dowels and I thought I'd rather not do dowels, as I never seem to get a good tight joint with dowels.

The floating tenon would be strong too, but what do you think about the regular rail and stile type of joint for glass doors? The same joint as a regular raised panel door, do you think the joint would be strong enough for glass doors?

Cheers!

Hi Stu

I'm far from being expert and I never made Rail and Stile but, I thing that even with the increased glue area that you get, it's still end grain to long grain gluing and, personally, I like some better mechanical connection like dowel or tenon.

The second problem (just for me and maybe I'm wrong) is that the glass will go in a center groove without a possibility to change it in case it breaks...also, I would not like to glue a frame with the glass sitting in the middle...with all those irons (clamps) around).

As I said, it's only my personal opinion

I would like to add...

It's true that today's glues are stronger than the wood and the connecting will not break in the glue line but, this glue line is very thin and the wood can break immediately after the glue line so, my opinion is that any mechanical connection (dowel or tenon) that is going deep into both parts, will be much more stronger and resistant than only a glue line...

Regards
niki

Last edited:
Yes, I'm concerned about it too, I might just do the rail and stile then drill some holes and put dowels in them for the extra strength?

The backs of the doors will have the groove removed, much like you did on your doors, and I'll place the glass in, then put the small sticks in to hold the glass in place, much like you did.

Cheers!