Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Christmas boards

More Christmas boards

After I got the last ones finished, LOML said, "You know the boys will be jealous if you don't make them one." And I had asked her before hand if I should. Her reponse was, "I don't think they'd be interested in anything like that." Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes. But I got them done in time so all is good. The larger board measures 11 3/4" x 17 3/8" and they are all 1 1/4" thick. The larger board was a special order from a customer after seeing the first four. And she wanted feet on the bottom so I turned six 2" diameter feet for it. It is all Oak. These others are just Cherry, Maple and Walnut. You know, once you make a few of these you get a bit faster... and better. Like anything else, I guess. Now I can relax for a few days before I drive down to San Antonio next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutting_boards3.jpg  

Great boards, Billy. I like the looks of the oak one the best. The apparent random-ness of the pattern is great. I suspect all of them will be used for a long time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Man, those are really nice Billy!
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Very nice. What kind of glue do you use? You are getting me inspired. I may make a couple my self this weekend.

Tom....

Tom, I use waterproof wood glue (like Titebond III), but poly glues would work as well.

Thanks Billy, I use Titebond III also, I really like it. I used it to hold my boat together.

Tom.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman View Post
    Very nice. What kind of glue do you use? You are getting me inspired. I may make a couple my self this weekend.

Tom....
    Tom, I figured I'd toss in my 2 cents on the glue...

I've made and sold a lot of cutting boards with Titebond II, and it works great. (I tried Titebond III a few times, and didn't like the short working time it seemed to have. I was doing glue-ups with quite a few pieces.) I've also made some with plastic resin glue (DAP Weldwood), and the plastic resin is what I use when I want to build the best. Especially on end grain boards, I've seen Titebond II creep slightly over time (in some cases, just a few days). The plastic resin glue, though, does not move at all.

Although you didn't mention it or ask, I've also read lots of debates about alleged food-safe glues. Personally, I don't worry about it. In my opinion, if you're getting glue in your food from a cutting board, you need to ease up on the knife a bit. I've yet to see any evidence indicating a person can ingest anything approaching significant levels of glue from a cutting board (or wood, for that matter).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've been wanting to try plastic resin glue, Vaughn, I just haven't really looked for it yet. FWIW, I did not use Titebond III on these boards. I used Elmer's Waterproof Wood Glue, but as many bottles as I've gone through it'd have been cheaper to buy larger bottles of TB III. I will say that I was quite happy with the working time of this glue. It seemed to be about the same as TB II and I could remove the clamps in an hour (the bottle says 30 mins, but I gave it extra JIC). No creep on any of them yet. Some time back I switched from TB I to TB II b/c of glue creep and haven't really experienced any creep w/it... I guess I should add "yet".

Those are GREAT cutting boards!
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Very nice boards Billy. What did you use to seal them?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault