Thread: Cabinet on Legs

Cabinet on Legs

I had a few minutes before leaving for a birthday party this evening so I banged out this model. I think the upper portion of the legs are too fat and the top end seems a bit clunky. Probably needs some sort of stretcher at the bottom, too.

My questions are these: Should the legs have some fore and aft splaying as well (giraffe drinking water?) Should the read legs be farther forward? If a stretcher, what sort? An H or an H with two crossbars? Or what?

Cabinet is drawn at 40" tall with an overlay door.

Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

I like the overall concept, Dave, but I can't quite wrap my mind around the curved legs with the "box" cabinet. As for the legs, I actually think the size up top is good, but they need tapered toward the bottom. Nothing exagerated, just a smooth, gradual taper. The cabinet needs more "shape" to it so that it compliments the legs better. Whatever you do, it will probably be a real eye catcher. Oh, stretchers... maybe a double H (sides only) tp compliment the mounts. And I wouldn't splay the bottom of the legs any further than the uppermost dimension. But that's just me thinking out loud.

i`d splay the front legs forward, starting the curve about 7" down from the bottom of the box and ending with the feet in plane with the front....
    (that`s taking for granted that the legs are set back from the front?)
    try either a simple curve or a modified ogee, see which one you like better.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Dave:

I like the design, but I would straighten the curve under the cabinet in the front view. I would add a curve or splay to the legs in the side view, and push the back set of legs as close to the back as you can. I think this would help with stability.

Frank

Thumbs up

Here are a couple of designs for comparisons sake Dave ->

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...e.aspx?id=4519

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...e.aspx?id=5171

I think the legs would look best splayed out at the bottom, it may not add much support but it gives the illusion of support and calms the mind...
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I had a few minutes before leaving for a birthday party this evening so I banged out this model. ( always amazed you can just knock this stuff out at random) I think the upper portion of the legs are too fat and the top end seems a bit clunky.( I don't see it ) Probably needs some sort of stretcher at the bottom, too. ( I like the long legs from the front view, unbroken)

My questions are these: Should the legs have some fore and aft splaying as well (giraffe drinking water?) Should the read legs be farther forward? If a stretcher, what sort? An H or an H with two crossbars? Or what?

Cabinet is drawn at 40" tall with an overlay door.

I am seeing the legs straighten after they get to the bottom of the cabinet, from the front view. The side I am having a problem with but think there is some real vision in this plan. No more stretchers needed. As far as splaying and aft, read legs and thirsty giraffes, You should probably rest.
    Thanks Dave.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

My main concern with this design is that even splaying the legs you'll problably need to attach it to the wall to prevent it falling towards you when opening it, even if it is heavy loaded and the door opens as smoothly as if it was in an air cushion. But you've problably though about that.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Thanks for all the comments. when I get a few moments, I'll see what I can do about working them into the design.

Shaz, I probably do need a bit of a rest. I'm going to go have a lie down.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly