Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A home theater

A home theater

These projects can be such fun if you work with the right people.
    It is my job to take the rendition from the decorator/designer, provide a few samples of the details for preference and approval, then build it to serve the purpose for which it was intended. In this case it is a home theater in a room about 20'x20' on the 3rd floor. The walls come up vertically to about 93" then go up from there to create a mansard ceiling.
    It has been in the works for about 3 months or so but only just lately have I started cutting any wood.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Oh no...

Shaz, are you gonna lead us down another...tune in tomorrow...adventure?

I'm sure it will be well worth checking in everyday to see another fabulous project.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Oh no... Oh Yes!

Shaz, are you gonna lead us down another...tune in tomorrow...adventure? You Got it!!!!!

I'm sure it will be well worth checking in everyday to see another fabulous project. You are too kind with your words, but thank you Greg! ( Now It has to work out! )

Well, since I have just started this thing and my memory often allows me to forget the way I have done something before, it will be important for me to try to keep you abreast of this thing as it progresses, in order that it will at least seem like I am doing the work. I have one fellow who helps me part time because he enjoys the work.
    It was designed by an interior design group of gals with very strong credentials for high end work. Hopefully I won't ruin that!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

OK Robert

I'll pop-in every day to see the progress....20'...even in Metric it's sounds big

You know what we say here about designers...

"They don't have to live with their creation"....that's why my wife is designing her furniture

Regards
    niki

Another fun adventure with Shaz! Looking forward to seeing it!

Hi Ed and Niki ,
    Thanks for stopping by. The project is a nice one, one I am sure you all could do given the right circumstances. However, since you guys are not here I will have to do this one for you, vicariously.
    Here are two renditions of the theater, obviously the marked up one on top is the first version. Mind you this is the front wall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plans.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	15312
    If the plans seem fuzzy to you don't worry, they are fuzzy to me too!
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how

Looks like a fun project! Are the panels on the sides and bottom speakers? I'm looking forward to vicariously helping you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Looks like a fun project! Are the panels on the sides and bottom speakers? I'm looking forward to vicariously helping you!
    Thanks Ed , welcome aboard. Well, partner , this is what we've got...

Name:	Scan0003 (600 x 365).jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	15317

As you can see there is a center channel speaker in the center under the screen. It will be behind a clip on panel.There will be a door to the left and to the right of that and then a short column which we have had approved and finished the roughcut of the parts.

Name:	plinth.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	15318

Name:	column on plinth.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	15319.
    Then moving outward we have two more doors and another column, then a small strip about 1 1/2" wide and then a full height cabinet in which the left and right channel speakers will be housed ( on the bottom ) with storage on the top.
    Finally the farthest cabinets from center which will finish off the remaining space to the wall, storage above and below. Decorator asked me to cover all the doors and panels across the wall with acoustical cloth. Total -15 inset cloth covered panels. But but but !
    Shaz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gibbs 12-07 016.jpg   plans.jpg  
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 12-16-2007 at 04:20 PM.
    Shaz
    Here is how

That is some project Shaz!! Keep us advised on your progress, please.

Quote Originally Posted by joe blankshain View Post
    That is some project Shaz!! Keep us advised on your progress, please.
    Hi Joe ,
    I will try to but I am unable to keep up with Marty's endurance both on the job and on the computer updates. Bear with me.
    Fortunately the decorators were okay with my using the same molding head for the columns and the base.

Name:	base and column knife.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	15325
    Since the front is rounded at about a 56' radius I needed to bevel the plinth and the column at 5 degrees + or -. Here is a test on the columns.

Name:	column test.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	15326 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 degreecolumn.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	15329
    And then when satisfied with the practice piece ( when doing this kind of stuff, make sure you have enough stock extra of the exact same dimension to test each phase to completion, as it occurs), it's time to run the real pieces through.

Name:	molding column.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	15327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishing the column.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	15328
    I knew my height as I have already constructed the boxes across the bottom of the screen, and I have a story pole for that height. The width and thickness of the columns and plinth were determinded using a story board of two laid out 36"x 8' pieces of plywood, upon which I marked the exact size of the lower cabinet's footprint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gibbs 12-07 017.jpg  
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 12-17-2007 at 02:04 AM.
    Shaz
    Here is how