I'm multi-functional now.... Measuring up...

Greg Cook

My wife gave me a Festool Multifunction Table (MFT) for Christmas. I ordered it from Bob Marino in NJ, and it shipped from Indiana on Monday. Delivery was scheduled for yesterday, but the truck got delayed by the ice storms leaving St. Louis, MO and didn't get to Portland, OR until yesterday. It left for (Seattle) Woodinville, WA early this morning and arrived at 8:00am. I had been tracking the table on the freight company's web site, and when it arrived I called the freight company as asked about delivery. They said it arrived too late to call for a residential delivery today...but I could I pick it up if I wanted to....:doh: "Uh, yep, I'm on my way...."

Believe me, that table just barely fit into my little car...no way would the box fit.

Required evidence....

I'll be using it in one of the upstairs bedrooms for inside projects. The CT22 vac will take care of dust duties.

I also got some clamps and have a tool to make that keeps the guide rail locked up when I don't need it.

I was gonna ask why you set it up in the bedroom, then I remembered you're rebuilding the tractor in your living room. :rofl:

Congrats on the new tool, Greg, wherever you use it. :thumb:

Vaughn,

Actually, the living room is getting crown molding, the family room has the ping pong table in it...and the garage is packed with stuff we are sorting for the move. :eek: In order to drill a hole for the jig below, I had to move the miter saw so I could move the DC so I could get to the drill press...:doh: The "Green House is the only place it will fit....:dunno:

Don, that thread on FOG has some kewl mods for the MFTs...

Stu...Pfffffftttt!

:rofl::rofl:

I am gonna have to really think about the TS... :huh: Do I really need it? (besides, I would really like to sell the DeWalt miter saw, the 2 RAS and get a Festool Kapex :thumb:)

Anyway, here is a quick jig I made using a borrowed design. Apparently the guide rail has been known to come crashing down on your head/hand. This should prevent that.

Just a chunk of scrap wood, a screw and handle from Rockler and a child safety clip, used to keep 'em from opening doors and drawers.

I grabbed that one for sure Greg.

You gave me a great idea for a big pile of left over laminated parts I have saved for jigs and such.

I bought a bunch of these before the shop was built and made up a few things I didn't have the tools to build.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4529471

The left over shelves etc. made quite a stack. :huh:
They will make wonderful black matching jigs for the MFT. :thumb:

Looks like you are going to be the one to watch for MFT upgrades! :peek:

DT

Hi Greg :wave:,
It is good to see one of those tables. Seems to have all sorts of peculiar amenities. Intending to go to a Festool Demo Monday or Tuesday here in town at Circle Saw if I can free up a bit and then I will be more versed on your new table. It seems to provide great versatility in use, at least from the looks of it. Congratulations on the Christmas present and thanks for the new tool update! :thumb:
Shaz:)
Oh, by the way, how will you get you tractor out of the living room?:huh::rolleyes:

Shaz,

Thanks. Hope you get a chance to see the MFT in person. It's pretty cool, and the guys that have used it a long time, really know how to use it to the max.

I may have to put the tractor on freecycle....:rofl:

measures up....

The fence rail and sliding stop are handy, but I really think they're much more useful with some way to set the stop at a specific length. I got this idea on one of the tool review sites...

I just happen to have a left reading metal tape that I original got for my table saw.

I set the end of the fence rail about 1/2" from the kerf channel on the MFT table. I placed a 16" steel ruler on the table with one end exactly at the left side of the channel and then set the stop on the rail so that the stop blade touched the end of the ruler. I then placed the tape on the rail so that the 16" mark was just under left edge of the stop. I chose the left end of the stop as I tighten the stop handle with my right hand and can do so while still seeing the tape marks to the left.

Here I'm checking at 14".

I used the first 48" of the tape on this project.

After I move to Japan, I'll use the tape's metric scale, or replace it with an all metric one...