Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carved Lidded Bowl

Villa Park, CA

Carved Lidded Bowl

I teach a carving course at the local Woodcraft and my next session is to teach how to carve a simple flower. Most of my students have been furniture people but there's a limited number of furnture people who want to learn carving - so for this class I decided to try to appeal to the turners since there's so many of them around here.

To do so, I carved the lidded bowl shown in the pictures below. I'm actually not much of a turner - mostly I turn furniture parts like legs but have done a few bowls. The bowl is poplar (cheap - I couldn't afford fine wood). I put an inlay on the bowl to hide one of the glue joints. The only problem with the inlay is getting it to match up. I did that by cutting the groove for the inlay deeper until the inlay matched then took the bowl down to the level of the inaly.

I'll put the bowl in the store with a flyer and see if I can attract a few turners to this session (Saturday, Jan 26, 9am to 4pm, at Woodcraft Stanton - $75 and limited to 6 students - in case anyone's interested!)

Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Monroeville, IN(Fort Wayne)
    I like it That poplar doesn't look cheap to me

It shouldn't be very hard to fill that class. If I lived a little closer.......
    my goal in life is to be as good a person as my kids think i am

life is short, even in it's longest days

Mike I am in awe of your artisty! Beautifully done Sir! Absolutely beautifully done!

Goodland, Kansas
    Mike it is beautiful. I really like it. I wish I was closer to.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

ABQ NM
    That looks beautiful. Mike. If I'm not busier than a rubber nose salesman at a clown convention that weekend, I'd like to try getting down to OC just to say hi.

I think your choice of samples (and the reasons for it...trying to attract turners) are great. Best of luck on the class.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Harvey, Michigan
    Beautiful work Mike! I hope you fill the class!

Tokyo Japan
    Hey Mike, that is really a beauty!

I'd be on that class like white on rice if I lived closer.

Hope you fill it and have a great time.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

San Antonio, Texas
    Oh my!!! Mike that is absolutley gorgeous! I just wish I lived closer. I'd definitely enroll to learn to carve like that.

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
    That is truly awesome, Mike.
    I'm way too far from you to take the class. Are you sure you wouldn't like to come to Alberta and teach the class here instead? I know a few guys who would be interested.
    And it's barely below the freezing mark right now. Now how can you turn that down?

Mike, I'm impressed. What a beautiful carving decoration, if I was able to grab it from the screen, for sure I would do that.
    Thanks for posting this gorgeous piece of work.