Cold office over unheated Garage

My office is heated with hot air heat, when the heats running it's too hot & when the heat isn't running it's too cold. The office is over an unheated garage. I am thinking about having either electric radiators installed or radiant heating in the floor (which I assume will require removing the drywall ceiling in the garage below).
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks
Dennis

What about some kind of a variable vent opening so not all the hot air comes in? Is there an air return in the room?

Is the floor over the unheated garage insulated?

If you already have forced air heat, I'd try two work with that first.

Cheers!

Is the floor insulated?
For radiant floor heating, I don't think you'd have to take down the drywall. There are MDF looking panels for the floor with the channels already routed in for the heating lines to run in that you could overlay the floor with. Have seen them used on TOH or Hometime, can't remember which. Probably 3/4" thick and seems like it had a radiant barrier bottom to it. Might have to put some sort of thin overlay over that to protect the tubing. Would lose maybe 1 1/4" of height in the room. Then re-lay your flooring. If you currently have carpet, this would be the easiest way to do it. If wood floor, tile, or something else, it might be harder. Jim.

Dennis are the garage walls/door and the office insulated? If not you might want to think about doing that and then just put a Y into your existing heating system and channel some of the hot air into the garage. I would also look into having a thermostat wired into your office to regulate the heat supply. Radiant heating would be redudent as it sounds like you already have a good heating system. You just need it to be more regulated.

Try this until spring. Until you come up with a solution.

I have two and enjoy them very much.

Two of them heat darn near my whole house. Been watching the electric bill and have not seen that much increase.........The furnace very rarely comes on. (live in Ind, where it is snowing right now)

They run between $59 and $69. at Menards.

Heater.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: