Thread: Delrin (sorta) washers

Delrin (sorta) washers

I like to use nylon washers behind my chucks and faceplates to keep them from binding onto the spindle. Makes removal easier. But, with my new Grizzly lathe and it's 1 1/4" spindle I had a temporary problem. None of the local stores carried 1 1/4" nylon washers. Come to the rescue. J. Collazzo
    http://www.turncrafts.com/ from one of my penturning forums, sells interesting and useful items that other vendors seem to overlook. I bought six 4"X4"X1/8" delrin sheets from him at a very reasonable price. Used a Forstner bit to cut my 1 1/4" holes, then shaped them (very crudely) to round on the bandsaw. Voila, I have no-bind washers and delrin left over for future projects like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails delrin.jpg   delrin washers.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Plastic lids like those in fridge work great too. Not the Tupperware!! The Butter bowls, cottage cheese and who knows what else. And they are free.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Hi Frank. From what you say, those washers meet the customer(you) requirements, and therefore they are quality products. You did good.

Looks good Frank. I found some of that stuff and it works good. I have also like Jeff used butter containers, cottage cheese containers also.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've also heard that Old CDs work well too. I've got a bunch that I use for computer updates at work. I'm going to try one soon.
    Ken
    ------

I thought about salvage stuff. But, Delrin is tough and nuttin', meaning nuttin' sticks to it. I figured that no matter how tight, two delrin washers would unscrew easily. Worth it for the couple bucks.
    P.S. I have to remember to not kick into reverse at high speed with these babies in place.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Well folks. Mice and Men have nothing on me.
    My first attempt to turn something on my new Griz lathe, reported more than a week ago, was a bust. It was a vase mounted by hot gluing the base to an aluminum face plate. Thing wobbled sumptin' fierce. I figgered it was the glue being kinda rubbery and pitched the project.
    Yesterday, I started a new project, using the same faceplate but with the wood (thanks, Vaughn ) screwed to it. Talk about wobble. Bad. Then I checked the faceplate and adapter, they were way outa kilter. Tried removing, very hard to do. Had to use spindle lock and big wrench. What happened was that the pair of homemade Delrin washers I had between the adapter and spindle head, not only didn't allow easy removal, they caused the wobble. Somehow, the drilling affected the thickness of the material (1/8" thick Delrin). The adapter, or any other tool, like a chuck will not seat properly against the spindle head. Failed project. Oh, well.

Sorry to see the washers didn't work out, but appreciate you posting it here for the rest of us to learn from. Do you suppose the unevenness was due to the edges of the holes getting boogered up during drilling? It is something you could carefully trim away with a sharp knife?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Sorry to see the washers didn't work out, but appreciate you posting it here for the rest of us to learn from. Do you suppose the unevenness was due to the edges of the holes getting boogered up during drilling? It is something you could carefully trim away with a sharp knife?
    No, it's a distortion I can feel. Maybe the heat of drilling with the Forstner did it. Actually, I dunno. Just know, experiment was an El Floppo.