Hoping Santa brings me enough extra money for....

Jim O'Dell

a new SCMS for Christmas.
I've heard good things about the top 3 on my list, in order they are:
1. Makita LS1013FL
2. Hitachi C10FSH
3. Bosch 4410L
I made a little trip out this am and looked at the Makita and Hitachi. I really like the Makita and the size of the base. It looks like it would support the wood you are cutting very well. I like how the Hitachi feels when sliding the mechanism...very smooth. I also like the bigger diameter dust collection port. As bad as dust collection is on these, every little advantage would help. But the table size is about half that of the Makita. I will have plenty of support on either side of the unit when in use DSCN1814.jpg (that gap is about 36" wide) but not all cuts will be on pieces that will span to the benches on one side or the other.

For those of you with the Hitachi or the Bosch (Didn't get to put my hands on that one, but looks to have about the same size table) what are your experiences with cutting wide stock that is short in length?
The Hitachi would come out to about 400.00 on Amazon with the 50.00 off promotion (I think it applies to this, it's for all bench top tools), plus there is a mail in rebate for a free M12VC router, which would be a big plus with my PC8529 variable speed control on the fritz. The 50.00 off is good through 12/31/07, and the free router is good through 1/31/08. Amazon dropped the price on the Makita six whole dollars this morning, down to 493.00!
rolleyes.gif
Such a great price.
biggrin.gif
Actually Home Depot has it for a better price...449.00 plus tax. If you could get a 10% off deal from them, it would be pretty sweet.
Thanks for any information on the Hitachi or Bosch you can give me. I'd prefer to have a larger table area, but may go the Hitachi if no one has had a problem with the smaller area support wise. THANKS! Jim.

Thanks Ken. I've got them bookmarked. But the link you show is the one without the laser. HD has the one with laser for 449.00 + tax. I've seen this saw go for under 400.00 in the last year, Amazon Friday sale or something. Possibly had a rebate from Makita to get it that low. I know I can't go wrong with the Makita, I just wonder if the Hitachi's smaller table is a problem. If not, it has a better warranty, is 70.00 cheaper, and comes with a mail in rebate for their M12VC 2-1/4 HP Variable Speed Router free. Much better deal, if the base is not an issue.
Thanks for the web site. Never know when they might run a spectacular sale price on it!! :D Jim.