Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plumbing question, installing a new toilet

plumbing question, installing a new toilet

I have purchased a new toilet for our downstairs guest bedroom. It's a Jacuzzi, highly recommended by the nice man at Lowe's. The box is complete with all parts, including the wax ring. I have never installed a toilet but once watched it being done. The process looks straightforward and, other than being messy, uncomplicated. Am I fooling myself? Any tips, tricks, precautions?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank, the messy part is removing the old wax ring. The new ring just sits in place where the old one was. It is critical not to over tighten the bolts. I did this on one of them and it broke the cast iron flange. Luckily they make repair kits for this so I didn't have to have a plumber replace the flange. I bought two of the Jacuzzi's for my remodel this past summer. They flush well for a low flow toilet, but I had a helluva time getting the tank to seal. At first I thought it was just the one toilet, but when I installed the second a few weeks later, I had the same problem. They like to leak around the bolts and it took what I think is an extraordinary amount of tork to seal one of the rubber washers. Funny thing is that it was a different side for each toilet. The left bolt was the leaky one on the first tank, the right on the second. I hope you don't have this problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hi Frank ,
    Should not be much of a hill for a stepper, you can do it, wear old clothes and figure out how best to get the old piece out of the house ahead of the time.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to watch for the bowl leaky thing. Mess I expect. Getting out of house shouldn't be hard. It's ground level, we have a hillside house, finished walk-out basement. Getting rid of the old toilet will be the problem. Trash won't take it and turning into a flower planter isn't my idea of beauty.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Sledge hammer, wear your glasses and gloves!
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Getting rid of the old toilet will be the problem. Trash won't take it and turning into a flower planter isn't my idea of beauty.
    two words.

black powder

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Any tips, ?
    Yes............my son done one for me for fathers day

I'll loan him to you

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Johnson View Post
    two words.

black powder
    I have some old Elephant powder, good way to get rid of both.

Bring it to the local Mickey D's and leave it in the men's room.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Don't over tighten the bolts against the porcelain base. They break easy. Told my neighbor that but he didn't listen! Was watching him and I was reminding him.... CRACK!

I like to run a bead of plumbers putty around the base of the toilet. Helps to keep it from rocking on an uneven floor, Rocking leads to gasket failure. One of the common things I find when inspecting houses is wet floors around the toilet where the gasket has leaked. Usually the floor is ruined before you know you have a leak.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits