plumbing question, installing a new toilet

Frank Fusco

I have purchased a new toilet for our downstairs guest bedroom. It's a Jacuzzi, highly recommended by the nice man at Lowe's. The box is complete with all parts, including the wax ring. I have never installed a toilet but once watched it being done. The process looks straightforward and, other than being messy, uncomplicated. Am I fooling myself? Any tips, tricks, precautions?

Frank, the messy part is removing the old wax ring. The new ring just sits in place where the old one was. It is critical not to over tighten the bolts. I did this on one of them and it broke the cast iron flange. Luckily they make repair kits for this so I didn't have to have a plumber replace the flange. I bought two of the Jacuzzi's for my remodel this past summer. They flush well for a low flow toilet, but I had a helluva time getting the tank to seal. At first I thought it was just the one toilet, but when I installed the second a few weeks later, I had the same problem. They like to leak around the bolts and it took what I think is an extraordinary amount of tork to seal one of the rubber washers. Funny thing is that it was a different side for each toilet. The left bolt was the leaky one on the first tank, the right on the second.:huh::dunno: I hope you don't have this problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hi Frank :wave:,
Should not be much of a hill for a stepper, you can do it, wear old clothes and figure out how best to get the old piece out of the house ahead of the time.
Shaz:)

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to watch for the bowl leaky thing. Mess I expect. Getting out of house shouldn't be hard. It's ground level, we have a hillside house, finished walk-out basement. Getting rid of the old toilet will be the problem. Trash won't take it and turning into a flower planter isn't my idea of beauty.

Don't over tighten the bolts against the porcelain base. They break easy. Told my neighbor that but he didn't listen! Was watching him and I was reminding him.... CRACK!

I like to run a bead of plumbers putty around the base of the toilet. Helps to keep it from rocking on an uneven floor, Rocking leads to gasket failure. One of the common things I find when inspecting houses is wet floors around the toilet where the gasket has leaked. Usually the floor is ruined before you know you have a leak.

Frank,
If I can do it, you most certainly can do it.:D Watch your back when lifting, and as Shaz mentioned - figure your route before lifting.:D Oh, and a large sponge and bucket help soak up the last bit of water in the old toilet. And last but not least, have fun!:p

Seriously, good luck,
Wes

Set the bowl before putting on the back. Its a lot easier that way. Every time I saw my dad do one growing up he did it the other way around and struggled to get it in place. Also buy an extra wax ring or two. Having one guarantees you'll screw it up. Two gurantees that you either not screw one up or that you'll screw two up. :rolleyes:

Don't over tighten the bolts against the porcelain base. They break easy. Told my neighbor that but he didn't listen! Was watching him and I was reminding him.... CRACK!

I like to run a bead of plumbers putty around the base of the toilet. Helps to keep it from rocking on an uneven floor, Rocking leads to gasket failure. One of the common things I find when inspecting houses is wet floors around the toilet where the gasket has leaked. Usually the floor is ruined before you know you have a leak.

This will be on an indoor/outdoor carpeted floor over concrete. Should be even.
BTW, I know about wet bathroom floors. I used to manage foreclosed properties and nearly fell through bathroom floors several times.
BTW #2: What is plumbers putty? I'll look for some at Lowe's to have on hand, jest in case.

I've had one sitting in the hallway for weeks. The problem? One of the flange bolts in the floor is broken off. Haven't gotten around to figuring how to fix that. Seems like a big problem. Right now, I'm trying to install a laundry room sink and cabinet. Thought I had it, then I used the dish sprayer Doorlink so wanted, and water went everywhere! ;)

I'm such a klutz! ;)

Thanks,

Bill