Moving In!

Well Friday we moved into our new addition. Patty was at school teaching and so I just went ahead and moved all the furniture into our new rooms as kind of a surprise. I figured the weekend would also be a good time to see how Alyson likes her new bedroom.

Just as a refresher here, I started in the first of May building this new addition. Its not merely a room, but literally doubled the size of our old house. That was 24 by 40 feet, while this addition is 28 by 40 feet. Together that now gives us 2100 square feet, 2 full bath rooms, 4 bedrooms (12 x 16 feet apiece), a dedicated laundry room and some big closets. For example, the kids closets are 6 x 8 feet, while the master closet is a whopping 12 by 8 feet.

With the old part of the house, we still have a 24 x 12 kitchen, a 16 x 24 living room, a 12 x 8 full bathroom and now the old bedroom will be a 12 x 16 playroom for Alyson. The addition has five major rooms. Three bedrooms (12 x 16), a bathroom 12 x 10 feet, and a laundry room at 12 x 10 feet.

Overall the build went pretty good. It took me longer to do then I thought by about a month, but working by myself and only on weekends, I was able to complete the addition, reside the entire house with cedar shingles, and did all that from May until December. Amazingly I kept the project right at the budget of 45,000 dollars. Not to bad considering the scope of the project. Here are some pictures...

This is what we started with..
Back_Yard2.JPG

A picture taken several months later from the same spot:
Side_of_House.JPG

Back_Yard3.JPG

From_Road.JPG

Alyson_Ne_Room.JPG

Bathroom2.JPG

Play_Room.JPG

Spare_Rrom.JPG

Laundry_Room2.JPG

Hallway2.JPG

New_Master_Bedroom.JPG

Cabinets2.JPG

For more detailed pictures, and pictures taken before, during and after the build, feel free to take this link.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Personal-Addition-1.html

Quite a project Travis! I wish I would come in on budget on any of my projects! So does my wife wish also!

Nicely done sir!

In budget???What's that????:rofl:
Great job, Travis!! Makes me sick to say it took me 3 years to rehab the shop building and enclose the patio on it. And I still don't have all the interior walls and ceilings done in the enclosed patio!!!:eek: Jim.

Congrats on getting it done, Travis. :thumb: Looks real good, too. I think an addition like that would take me a lot longer than it did you.

Travis,
Great job. Congratulations. That's quite an accomplishment, in a lot of ways. Now what - a couple of months recouperating? I hear lots of shop time is very therapeutic.
paulh

I'm working on it Paul!! I got 250 miles so far, not bad since its not even winter yet.

What a crazy winter it has been too, normally we say "it always warms up to snow", meaning generally the temps get warm and the snow comes because of the cloud action and whatnot keeping in the heat of the earth. Anyway this year its been cold. Today it was 7º and tomorrow morning its supposed to be -10º and that is F and not C either!

As for my next project, I am glad you asked because I might need your Architectural help on it. I want to build a Victorian painted lady...but with a twist. True to my modeling woodworking side, I want it to be a doll house for Alyson. This house is located a few miles from me and was built by a sea captain in the late 1800's.I was thinking of building Alyson a doll house with this exterior configuration. Inside the house is a mess architecturally. It's been upgraded, but not by anyone who knew anything about painted ladies. I might need some help getting the architectural details right. (shingles, trim, crown molding, freezes, etc)Of course building them on a 1"=1' scale might be a challenge for me.

http://www.newenglandmoves.com/viewDetails.nem?GLID=1011084911&selectTab=1&propertySearchType=1&associateSearchType=&cid=33147

3518112_101.jpg

Travis,
glad to help - sounds like fun. I'll probably be doing one of those myself in a few years. We could have a matched pair 1600 miles apart.
I'm doing a basic play table for my kids for Christmas. It's nothing grand, but between that and the bird feeder the kids are building for their mom, there's some quality shop time going on.
One other question - ever get the heat figured out in your shop? It sounded like the compost idea got shelved for later, but i assume you've got something to keep you warm out there other than a jug of cheep hooch.
Paul Hubbman

Heat?????

I'll spare you the sarcastic replies about heat. I assume you read the part about it getting down to -10F! yeah its cold, and my shop heater is way to small. I had a line up on a great trailer furnace, (used to heat house trailers) but then my dad got into woodworking and ended up using the heater for his place. My heater does well from 20 on up, but when its this cold, it just burns propane and does not get the shop anywhere near warm enough. That leaves me with a 3 season shop unfortunately.

As for my doll house idea, the biggest architect question I have right now is this. Did they have copper roofs back in the 1880's?

As you know, I enjoy working with copper, and I can get all I want for pocket lint, so I was thinking of putting a copper roof on it. The way I see it, I have two choices. The standing seam copper roof kind (the width would be equal to 14" real house width) or I can do as Stu once suggested, and that is "shingle" the house roof with copper shingles. Both would have their own set of issues, and both would be hard to reproduce on such a small scale, but hey I like challenges. I am just not sure which one would be better for the 1880's period? That is, if they used copper roofs at all back then.

You make a great point Bill. I noticed on this doll house (worth 1.1 million dollars mind you) they used copper shingling on the roof sections. I am thinking about doing likewise, or as is the case with me, rethinking the wheel here and thinking about going with slate.

Not sure on that one. I like copper, but slate has its own appeal. Somehow I think this doll house is going to be more for me building it then for Alyson :)

overall.jpg