A couple of Bowls......DONE!! (new pics)

Stuart Ablett

OK, I got these two bowls soaked with the Watco natural oil, now I'm just waiting for them to dry and harden for a few days, then I'll get them buffed and take some better pics.............

simple_maple2.JPG simple_maple1.JPG simple_maple3.JPG
This is just a simple little Hard Maple bowl, I'm very pleased with it, went really well, took about an hour from cutting the blank into a round, to soaking it with Watco, what a great, but simple chunk of wood! :D
I'd say it is about 6" in diameter and maybe 3" deep, fun, simple, solid as a rock, should last a very long time, made me smile doing this one. It is nice to just do a simple functional bowl sometimes. I think I nailed the form too. :thumb:

ne_tochi_curl_1.JPG ne_tochi_curl_2.JPG ne_tochi_curl_3.JPG
This is from a piece of Tochi that I got when I bought the other chunks of wood from our last turning meeting. The piece is cracked in various spots all around, it looked like the piece of wood was savagely busted off from a larger piece. I took the worst of the loose pieces off the surface, but I still had a lot of cracks, so I CA glued stuff in place. This piece of wood has a fair bit of flame or curl to it, not all of it comes out in the pics.

ne_tochi_curl_left_over_wood.JPG
These are the left over chunks, I'm sure I can get some pens and some bottle stoppers out of these.

Comments and critiques welcome! :wave:

Last edited:
Hi Stuart, no wonder that you like the hard maple bowl, I like it too, simple bowls are always the best. :thumb:
What are you going to do with that Tochi piece, it seems to me that you're not ready yet with this Tochi piece.
Anyway you are productive as always, I closed my outside shop for a while, much to cold overhere with temperatures below freezingpoint at daytime. :(

Hi Ad

I don't know exactly what I'll do with the pieces.

There is less wood that it seems with the larger pieces, they become very thin at the one side, the chunkier bits will make pens for wine bottle stoppers, I guess.

My Dungeon is underground, so it never really gets cold down there, the coolest I've seen it was around 12C, and that is NOT cold. Turn on the electric heater and I can get it up to around 18C without much trouble, more than warm enough.

Cheers!

Stu, Well Done:thumb: You are correct...the first one has a perfect shape IMO. The second is rugged and looks great as well. I like the brand on the bottom as well.

I agree the form on the maple bowl is right on. Very well done. :thumb: The wood in the tochi piece is very pretty, but the natural edge doesn't really appeal to me in this case. Others will love it though. Ya never know how something like that will work out until you try.

OK, I got the two bowls all buffed up, they look really good, to me, and the Watco Natural Oil finish and buffing is becoming my favorite finish for this kind of thing :thumb:

A TON of pics here, hope I don't bore you to death, but I'm still fooling with my lights, tent and camera.........:rolleyes:

First up the Smashed Edge Bowl........

smeb1.jpg smeb2.jpg smeb3.jpg smeb4.jpg smeb5.jpg

smeb8.jpg smeb9.jpg smeb10.jpg smeb6.jpg smeb7.jpg

More pics.........

........ yep, still more pics.........

smeb11.jpg smeb12.jpg smeb13.jpg

OK that is it for the Smashed Edge Bowl :wave:

Now the Simple Maple Bowl......

smb1.jpg smb2.jpg smb3.jpg smb4.jpg

Just a few of this one, as it is really simple and not much to see, and I was getting bored of taking pictures :rolleyes:

Well, thanks for looking! :D

Stu.....I like both.........but the last one......

I think you may have started a new category....

First there was the NE.........Natural Edge....

Now there is the RE..............Ragged edge!

Nicely done Stu. I like both of them!

Stu, your maple bowl is so perfectly proportioned and shaped it could be 16" or 24" in diameter and it would still look great. A beautifully proportioned and shaped bowl.

The tochi bowl is also a nice bowl but its shape is just not as esthetically pleasing to my eye. It looks a little thick to my eye but you may have had to stop where you did because of the internal cracks I see. You sure did a nice job of polishing it up.

Both of them would look good on the mantle.

Thanks guys.

The Maple bowl is a favorite, I'm going to keep that one, and the Tochi was more of a "Well, what can I do with this chuck of wood, besides burn it......??:huh:"

So in that respect, I think it it better than firewood......... just ;) :D

Cheers!

Stu,
The Maple bowl is great the form is right on the sloped rim towards the inside size of the base makes for just a wonderfull piece.

Form looks good on the natural edge but the wall thickness just seems to thick to me for the piece. That is of course a matter of taste though.

Hi Brad! :wave:

Welcome aboard!

Stu I love that first bowl but how would one drink the milk when the Cherrios are gone out of the second without a bib? :huh: :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

Stu you did good. The perfect simple bowl. Very universal. Getting the simple bowl to be perfectly shaped is hard unto itself.