Digging out

Steve Ash

Well we got hit with snow....spent all day yesterday digging out my driveway, then my dad's and then headed over to help my son with his.

Snow is fine for Christmas, then I'm ready for it to go :rofl:

100_3810.jpg

Hope you all are staying warm. :thumb:

You are complaining cause you got to go out and play in the snow all day in the sunshine on your toys, ah, I mean tractors..... :rolleyes:

Boy you have become a grumpy grampa ;) :D :rofl:

:wave:

My parents used to have a cottage in Michigan that we would occasionally visit in winter. Thanks for the reminder of what a real winter looks like. I enjoy seeing the pictures from down here. ;)

I enjoy seeing the pictures from down here. ;)

Pictures ?? Why didn't you say so ...:rolleyes: ?

We got 12" yesterday, and I sat inside watching TV and drinking tea with my sweetheart. This morning I went out to play with my old snowblower.

Here's the view off the back of my deck this morning ::

20071217-31cmSnow-02.jpg

Here's the view out my laneway to my neighbours yard and his snowpiles ::

20071217-31cmSnow-01.jpg

cheers eh?

Those are really horrible scenes! It was 42 degrees this morning here and everyone was just dieing. Must have been some kind of record or something.

I just checked and it is 52 degrees now so I am still inside with the heat blowing on me. I hope to thaw out soon.

Last edited:
Oh boy, thanks for reminding me why I don't live in Chicago anymore!:D We just got strong winds and rain/sleet from the last storm. This morning the streets were dry.:thumb: We'll eventually get some snow, but nothing like you guys.
If I never have to shovel off another roof . . . .

Stay warm and safe!

Wes

PS Steve, the Little Man really liked your JD in the snow. I think it gave him some ideas!

Thanks for the pictures, Steve. I didn't really need a reminder about why we moved 'south' from the Chicago area in 1970, but it doesn't hurt.
You said, "I'll add another then Frank, just for you....where abouts was your cottage in Michigan?"
The cottage was about half-way between Pentwater and Ludington, less than a mile from Lake Michigan. We were near a lake named Bass Lake. I recall, on those deep winter trips, we would walk to the beach and often would find Lake Michigan frozen solid. But, it wasn't just flat ice. It had frozen waves. Looked like four and five foot waves came up and froze instantly in place. Very eerie. I'm sure it was a build up. We would walk and climb hundreds of yards out into the lake on those waves. My father took pictures of them. I may still have his slides of those pictures. Strong memory. That and the cold.
BTW: I'm not the only former Chicago city boy to go country. My cousin, his wife and mother live near Bloomingdale where they have been in the dairy business for many years.

Yeah we are digging out too.

What a crazy winter. Normally it stays kind of warm in order to snow, but this year we have been getting hammered with snow and getting cold temps. Tonight its supposed to get down to -10F and tomorrow night the snow is supposed to start up again. Another 3-6.

That does not sound like much, but add that to the 26 inches we have already, and thats a clump of snow...and its not even winter yet!!

Over the last 30 years, Maine has averaged just 6 inches of snowfall in the month of December. This year we have received 26 inches...and its only half way through the month.

Plowing_Driveway.JPG

If he were closer I'd let him drive that JD. Kids love driving tractors.....even when they get to be "old" kids :thumb:

Steve, if you don't mind, I respectfully decline to let Sam read your response. If he knew, I would not get a moments rest until he got that drive!:D:D

Frank, more than one day I slogged home soaking wet after playing on that ice! My best friend fell in as well and once lost his boots - he found them on the shore a few days apart in early spring.:rolleyes:

Wes

Steve, if you don't mind, I respectfully decline to let Sam read your response. If he knew, I would not get a moments rest until he got that drive!:D:D

Frank, more than one day I slogged home soaking wet after playing on that ice! My best friend fell in as well and once lost his boots - he found them on the shore a few days apart in early spring.:rolleyes:

Wes

Yep, looking back, it probably was potentially very dangerous. As far out as we went, I'm sure the water was extremely deep. If the ice opened it could have been deadly.

Steve I see that you have a good old machine there for moving snow. I have been in the seat of one them for many hours doing field work. From the picture I can't tell if it is gas or diesel but it looks to be a gasser. Since I left the farm I have work on JD for about 28 years. Dad still has his 2nd 3020 which he bought in '67' and it now has 11,000 hours plus on it. He went to renting out his farm 10 years ago.

From the picture I can't tell if it is gas or diesel but it looks to be a gasser. Since I left the farm I have work on JD for about 28 years. Dad still has his 2nd 3020 which he bought in '67' and it now has 11,000 hours plus on it. He went to renting out his farm 10 years ago.

Rex, mine is a 1966 gasser. I can't work on diesel engines but I can work on gas thus the reason I wanted a gas tractor.

My dad had bought a 1966 identical to this one and I learned to plow on it. He sold it at his auction sale in 1993. The guy he bought his from (a JD dealer) also sold the one I have new, so perhaps the one my dad had and the one I own now were both on the dealer lot at the same time...definately the same year. Makes the tractor a little extra special to me.

Mine has a little over 5,000 hours on it so I figure it should last me the rest of my life....and I can always restore it to new if it needs it.