Elm Vase - Elephant's Foot?

Jeff Bower

I finished this over the weekend. Made from elm salvaged from a tree cut down this spring. Its about 8" H X 5" wide at the base. There was a lot of tear out towards the bottom so I decided to use a wire brush and burn it with a propane torch. It's not completely hollow, just use a 2 1/8" forstner bit to drill it out. My lathe has almost 20" "quill travel" on the tailstock so that made it easier. Finished with watco oil. Sorry about the poor photo. :eek:

Someone left a comment on my Flickr.com gallery saying it looked like an elephants foot...so I think I will put that title on it. What do ya'll think?:dunno:

Attachments

• elephant foot.JPG
    elephant foot.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 98
Jeff, it's defenitive a elephants foot.
I wonder what you are going to do with this thing ? :huh:

I'm in on the elephant's foot name. Very cool. I can see that with some African-ish dried flowers or bird of paradise flowers sticking out of it.

I've seen Elm before and I've seen some vases but this is the first time I've seen an Elephant's foot vase! Ah, the word unique comes to mind! I am sure your mother will enjoy the bragging rights that go along with the artwork! Interesting work Jeff!

Thanks, Steve. I like simple forms, but like to make interesting things too! I have quite a bit of elm that keeps tearing out, so there might be a series of elephant feet in the future.:p