Well, I am starting to see a pattern. I am planning my next project and suddenly out of blue I start another one on the spur of the moment. I think this is the third time I have done this. I was about to start the Cherry TV stand but I really need my mortiser and I don't have a set of bits yet. Next thing I know the Island that we scheduled for down the road suddenly is being built.
It will be popular and painted. Storage behind the door and an some open shelves on the right hand side. Exact size to be determined. She wants to put baskets in there. So I have to get her to find some and then size that to them. The top will be a maple(?) bench top I found at the local surplus store for $35! That was one of those grab it quick type deals. Top is a mess but nothing some quality time with a #7 plane won't fix.
I sat down while I ate lunch and pulled up the Sketch Up file and started making a couple of tweaks and added a few dimensions. Then headed to shop and pulled the poplar out of the rack and started to work.
First thing was rough out blanks. Joint, edge, rip, plan etc. I started with the legs. Had to glue them up since I didn't have any thick poplar.
Then I spent a couple hours(?) milling the rough blanks for the all the Rails and Stiles. They are all square and milled to thickness when I quit. Ready to rip to width and start milling the joinery on them.
Spent quite a bit of quality time with the Great Pumpkin' too. The more I use this thing the more I like it. Also learned a trick but I don't think many jointer's can do this. Somehow I nicked the blades. (When I resharpen them I am going to try a shallower angle, that will hopefully strengthen the edges some.) Anyway, I can angle my fence to the blades to make shear cuts. I was adjusting the fence to get past the nicks when I had a thought. I set the fence at an angle. Ran a board across... no more ridges! Sliding the board on a sheer cut mills off the ridges. Now I can put of sharpening now till the blades get dull. Or I need to straighten it up and run a long board across there.
Just to prove that I do use this machine. It was clean from where I moved it last week. But that didn't last!
Overall, I think it was pretty productive afternoon. Tomorrow I am going to work on a sled for the jointer. I have a lot of cuts of make on the ends of the rails and it's very hard to hold those pieces square against a miter gage. I think it's time for a sled.