Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Island * Yet another update!

Island * Yet another update!

Well, I am starting to see a pattern. I am planning my next project and suddenly out of blue I start another one on the spur of the moment. I think this is the third time I have done this. I was about to start the Cherry TV stand but I really need my mortiser and I don't have a set of bits yet. Next thing I know the Island that we scheduled for down the road suddenly is being built.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	15399

It will be popular and painted. Storage behind the door and an some open shelves on the right hand side. Exact size to be determined. She wants to put baskets in there. So I have to get her to find some and then size that to them. The top will be a maple(?) bench top I found at the local surplus store for $35! That was one of those grab it quick type deals. Top is a mess but nothing some quality time with a #7 plane won't fix.

I sat down while I ate lunch and pulled up the Sketch Up file and started making a couple of tweaks and added a few dimensions. Then headed to shop and pulled the poplar out of the rack and started to work.

First thing was rough out blanks. Joint, edge, rip, plan etc. I started with the legs. Had to glue them up since I didn't have any thick poplar.

Name:	101_1248.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	15400

Then I spent a couple hours(?) milling the rough blanks for the all the Rails and Stiles. They are all square and milled to thickness when I quit. Ready to rip to width and start milling the joinery on them.

Name:	101_1249.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	15401

Spent quite a bit of quality time with the Great Pumpkin' too. The more I use this thing the more I like it. Also learned a trick but I don't think many jointer's can do this. Somehow I nicked the blades. (When I resharpen them I am going to try a shallower angle, that will hopefully strengthen the edges some.) Anyway, I can angle my fence to the blades to make shear cuts. I was adjusting the fence to get past the nicks when I had a thought. I set the fence at an angle. Ran a board across... no more ridges! Sliding the board on a sheer cut mills off the ridges. Now I can put of sharpening now till the blades get dull. Or I need to straighten it up and run a long board across there.

Just to prove that I do use this machine. It was clean from where I moved it last week. But that didn't last!

Name:	101_1253.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	15402

Overall, I think it was pretty productive afternoon. Tomorrow I am going to work on a sled for the jointer. I have a lot of cuts of make on the ends of the rails and it's very hard to hold those pieces square against a miter gage. I think it's time for a sled.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 02-03-2008 at 01:14 AM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Hi Jeff ,
    Sounds like you are tearin' um up! Good for you, we are watching your progress!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Glad to see you're finally getting to Break in that "New" Machine. Lookin' Good.

Hey Jeff, I think there's a leak in the DC on the Great Pumpkin. Looks like some chips were not making it into the duct.

Looks like this will be a fun build to watch.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey, I remember that machine from a pictorial you did of the restoration on another forum. Surely there can't be two of them with that gold lettering. I enjoyed watching the restoration process. Good to see it making sawdust.
    A sled for a jointer? I've never seen one. Please post some pics when you do it.

Larry, welcome to the Family!

yeah that Jeff guy gets around

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Hey Jeff, I think there's a leak in the DC on the Great Pumpkin. Looks like some chips were not making it into the duct.
    BIG LEAK! I tried tracing it down but I couldn't find the sucker! DC is so big on my list. Just at $1,500 plus, it's not in the budget yet since I don't do Credit Cards. On the plus side now that I have my shop equipped I can start putting back some cash toward a cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    Glad to see you're finally getting to Break in that "New" Machine. Lookin' Good.
    Breaking in?? Where you been?

Really, I have run many bd. ft. of lumber across there. I probably haven't posted anything with it after I got it restored and operational. But I use it all the time! It was well worth the 80+ hours of labor!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Heflin View Post
    Hey, I remember that machine from a pictorial you did of the restoration on another forum. Surely there can't be two of them with that gold lettering......

A sled for a jointer? I've never seen one. Please post some pics when you do it.
    Larry, I posted on Woodnet and OWWM as I was restoring it. Your probably saw it on one of those. I don't know of another one like it (yet). But there is another one being restored over in the Atlanta area. I had a virtual twin to this jointer in my shop for a while. It was went to a young man who is in the process of restoring it now. I think he is going to use the same color scheme but I don't think he has posted anything on it except a couple of photos at OWWM.

I have a 30" bandsaw that I am almost done with and I liked the colors so much I used the same on it.

Jointer sled idea was posted in jigs and fixtures. I am going to try to build it today.

Is your house dusty? I had an open space next to a drawer stack in our old island, and probably every day for 9 years I heard what a mistake that was. Plenty of hardware out there for pull out shelves, backets, etc... that can be hidden behind a(nother) door.

KC

It's her idea Kirk. I just building it!

Looking good, Jeff. Cant wait to see how it ends up.