What the Heck Happened Here?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
In case you missed the news, the forums here at FamilyWoodworking have been restructured. (There was discussion and a poll about it in the Member's Only Forum. If you're a registered member, you'll be able to see that forum.)

As a result of this shuffling around of things, you'll see there are now several categories of forums, and the individual forums are subdivided into these categories.

You'll also notice several new forums have been added. There are a number of existing threads that should be moved into new forums and I did a little bit of that tonight, but by no means completed the job. (I did it mostly to "seed" the empty new forums.) Over the next few days, the mods and admins will be moving threads as appropriate into their new homes. We'll leave "redirect" links when threads are moved so you can find them in their new forums. There's also a possibility some of the older threads won't get moved, so if you see an older thread that perhaps would fit better in one of the new forums, let one of the mods know and they can get is put into the proper place.

Please keep the new forum structure in mind when starting a new thread, and try to choose the forum where it best fits. Of course, there will always be some threads that are hard to pin to a single forum or category. No worries, just put it where you think is best. This new structure is going to take us all a little while to get used to, but in the long run it should give us better flexibility in the future.

Enjoy!

- Vaughn

Hi Vaughn:

Just took a quick look at your new format. I like it because it breaks out topics better and will be easier to find certain threads without having to do a search.

Good Job!
Joe

Thanks Vaugh. It's not what I was expecting so it's going to take some getting used to for sure!

But we (me for sure) are quick to complain and short to give compliments. So let me say thank you for your work on this. I have manage a couple of web sites and I know what it be like. So THANK YOU!

Vaughn,

Thanks for all the hard work last night (into early this morning). You continue to amaze me with your persistance in making this a better place. I assume the new structure will grow on me, so "open mind" is the phrase of the day. I will not taint the efforts until we see how it flys with the membership. By the way, over 200.

Here's a hot tip some of you may have already figured out. If you collapse all the categories (by clicking the little "up arrow" on the right-hand side of each category title), you can fit all of them on your screen without scrolling.
Then, as you click on each category title you see a listing (again, all on a relatively short page) of all the forums within that category.

Here's an example of everything collapsed.

And here's what you see after clicking on a category (in this case, the Tools and Equipment category).

IMHO, it's easier to click than scroll, and collapsing the categories cuts down on the scrolling. I'm sure we'll all discover a few tricks and traps along the way.

Thanks for the kind words (even those who have doubts about the new layout).

- Vaughn

Hi Vaughn,
You are honing this with 220 grit, can't wait to see how 400 and 600 grit work in time. Great work!
Thank you old timer :) ,
Shaz... Oh yeah, I'm a Senior member now:rolleyes: , How did that happen, someone check my age? :eek: