Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Boxed in Boiler

The Boxed in Boiler

Okay here is a good question...

I have my boiler securely mounted to the wall in the new laundry room. Everything is fine, except there is a pile of valves, controls, wires and whatnot, and this is in our laundry room. The Mrs is worried about a certain 16 month old baby getting into the arrangement of pipes and whatnot and wants it boxed in. I don't have any problem with that, but I got some options.

I am looking at a 5 foot wide bu 8 inch 3 sided plywood box sort of thing to box this thing in. I fabricated some rails at work and plan to have the thing hang off the ceiling, yet slide back out of the way on these rails suspended from the ceiling. That is so I can work on any part of it unobstructed. Do you think this is a good idea, or too complicated to do?

The next question is more important really. I have two schools of thought. The first is to build the box pretty simple, and don't leave any holes in it at all. The boiler has a fresh air inlet so it does not need air, plus if I insulate the box with a layer of 2 inch Styrofoam I can make this unit virtually noise free.

My next thought is, the boiler and controls need to breath so to speak. Maybe I should make the cover with louvers and other vents so that air circulates better in there.

Which way do you think I should go. Insulate for sound, or vent for air flow?

Last edited by Travis Johnson; 12-20-2007 at 08:56 AM.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Insulate for sound, or vent for air flow?

Myself: Would do both. Use adjustable heat vents for the air flow.
    Not knowing how big etc, would think that one would be more than enough.

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Can't you just lock the door? I know, I know, kids get into everything!

How about just boxing in the lower section, the valves? You could make a shallow cabinet with fold out shelf (handy in laundry room). I'm assuming the 16 mo. old is not tall enough to reach the actual boiler.

What's the long yellow hose for?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post

Which way do you think I should go. Insulate for sound, or vent for air flow?
    Both - I think. An insulated box with a baffled opening at the top and bottom would promote ventilation through convection and the baffles will limit the amount of noise that gets out of the box.

My $.02.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Hemenway View Post
    What's the long yellow hose for?
    Its a connection hose for the new propane dryer that is just out of sight of the picture.

All interesting ideas thus far. I was thinking of using wood as I like working with wood, but I got some drywall left over too, and that might be better to use in that its more fire resistant.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Consider this. Box in a framework similar to a closet (that is what you will be building) Hang Bi-fold Louvered doors as you will need, from time to time, to obtain full access. the doors would provide the access and the Louvers would supply the ventilation needed. With proper latches or hasp, the security would be achieved as well as hiding the mass of pipes, valves and doo-dads...

Or, at least that is the way I would approach the problem.

Ditto what Bill suggested.

Without seeing the rest of the room, I'll assume there is space enough to box in or build closet-like walls around it. Then ventilate as Bill suggested. If you don't have adequate room for that, lock the door.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Yeah its an 10 by 12 room, so its pretty big. Its a laundry room too so Patty wants to fold clothes in there (the countertop is on the opposite side of the room then the boiler.) If she does that with Alyson, she wants to be able to have Alyson with her, yet not be able to get into boiler stuff. Right now its easy to do because of all the valves and stuff.