Most Used Jig?

What is the most used jig in your shop?

Its a simple question, but jigs are simple devices, often disguised under scrap material and hastily built parts. Still some of the heaps help us out everyday. They also do something else...they act as safety devices in disguise.

So which one do you use the most? Your tablesaw cross cut jig? Your circle maker on your bandsaw? Your jig that turns your planer into a jointer?

Mine is probly so simple, so overlooked, so stupid that you would not believe me. Its a stack of angles made out of OSB wood and Strapping. I use them mostly on my Radial Arm Saw, placing them up against the fence so I don't have to move the settings on my saw to saw say 45 degree miters, or 30 degree cuts, etc...which might throw off the accuracy of the saw if moved enough. They also save me a lot of set-up time.

So what is your most often used jig or fixture?

interesting question travis,
I would say that in my old shop it was the Crosscut/Panel Sled I built. Honking big thing It could handle up to 25" wide glue ups. 99% of the time it was supporting a board 6" or less. I think when I get my new shop I'll build a second sled, a lot smaller so that I'm not lifting that much weight just to do a quick accurate cut.
panel_cutting_jig.jpg

pretty simple construction, it was/is 3/4 ply base, with 8/4 poplar verticals.

I don't have many jigs, getting some great ideas here though. Of the few jigs I do have I'd say the crosscut sled. I also use my router guide jig a bunch. I'm not sure if that is the correct name of it, but I found it in a book about routers by Doug Gellar. Simple 1/2" plywood about 6 inches wide, 4 foot long with another piece of plywood 1" wide glued and nailed to the previous piece.

Basically put it is a straight edge for a router that enable you to make perfectly straight cuts using yoour router....I need to take pictures.

Crosscut sled was a top candidate, but since I got a Jointech Smart Miter, the sled's been sitting unused. (Bought it used from a local guy a while back...it's a pretty slick set-up.)

My other highly used jig is the template I use for cutting radiused corners on my cutting boards. Time's short right now, but when I can get some pics of it, I'll post a thread so everyone can have a look-see.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Incra Pro on my TS/RT. It's the fence system, so I forget it counts as a jig, too. Definitely the most used "jig" in the shop. ;)

Thinking about it some more, if purchased jigs count (and some people seem to think that they do), my most used "jig" is the JessEn miter gauge on my table saw. I use it even more than I use the hole.

For purchased ones, DEFINATLEY my JoinTech Smart Mitre. For shop built, my router base mouted circle cutter sure got a work out while making blast gates recently, and for my chip barrel lid. I thought about buying one, but making it allowed me to fine tune the pivit hole for getting an exact fit. I have a setting for both OD 6" and OD 4" S&D PVC that is such a tight fit, I have to use a scrap block of wood to put the 2 together! Probably didn't need the silicone at the seams, but I did it anyway.:D Jim.

The jig I use most is tossed after most jobs. A simple stick with pencil marks on it. Story stick, story pole, whatever you prefer to call it. I avoid a tape or ruler whenever possible.