This is the design my grandaughter and I came up with for her dresser. The only unique thing is that the long panel at the top folds down to provide access to small jewelry drawers. It will be latched with a push to release type of latch and then open hinged down to expose the drawers. I wanted to post the SU file for comments but the size is to large for this site (even compressed as zip file) so if you are interested in looking send an email and I will forward the file that way.
Some things I learned along the way:
1. Daves tip about leaving layer0 always the active layer a real PLUS!! This solved the visibility problems I had as I tried to put components on more than 1 layer. Thanks Dave
2. I renamed layer1 to 01-xxxxxx for the first part and then as I added layers for parts these were named 02-xxxxx, 03-xxxxx etc. This solved the sorting problems and always made the latest layer last and layes stayed in the order of creation.
3. I made a scene of Layer0 so I could easily hide all layers to start on a new part or while working on an existing part.
4. For some of the modifications to parts it was easier for me to make a copy of the component and move it to layer0 (using the "I" key shortcut to info and changing layer) so other parts were not in the way while editing (Seemed easier than hiding and un hiding in most cases). The changes were automatically made on the other layers and then I just deleted the extra copy on layer0. This also made it easier to remove the extra lines that are formed from something like a intersect with selected.
5. When I was working on the mortise and tenon joints I did the tenons and then used intersect to place the mortise ( this is probly obvious ) but I also found that by knowing the length of the tenon part I could move the guide lines made to outline the tenon to the other end of the part with a simple move and I did not need to re draw them. (I had drawn the tenon parts to fit between the frame first and added tenons later when satisfied with the design.)
6. I opened the cut list file in excell so I could easily edit as I did not assign materials to all parts. And for some parts like the leg blanks ( I am gluing up the legs from 2 parts as I didn't have any 8/4 stock) the quanity neede editing.
I have learned a lot about SU during this process. I am still slow with the program but it dosent seem as hopeless as when I first started. The many tutorials and other hints by Dave have helped a lot.
Edited to correct the layer nos as Layer0 is the layer to leave as active as Dave has pointed out.
Thanks for looking