Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McAfee Security Suite?

McAfee Security Suite?

Any opinions on the McAfee Security Suite? It is being offered free to Comcast subscribers, they claim it is a $120 value. Should I bite?
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

I've had nothing but BAD experiences with McAfee and Norton, I use Zone Alarm for a fire wall, and Nod32 for my e-mail, I find them both much less intrusive that anything else out there, but YMMV.

Ah, NO, I'd not take the McAfee, even for free.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks Stu. I have been using Norton Corporate edition for years and have it pretty much dialed in but I recently acquired an IRC Trojan that Norton canít fix.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

If you want your PC corrupted with "stuff" load up McAfee SS. I had that on my PCs prior to switching to Macs. Nothing but problems...
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Contrary to everyone else's opinion, I've had nothing but good service from McAfee products. I have their 'Security Suite" on all four of my computers, and have never had a problem, or a conflict. I use everything in the suite except the parental control portion.

I really like the spam filter, and the firewall. Both work very well, with no hassles. The Internet Security feature can be really handy - especially whe accessing from somebody else's network - like at a hotel.

I've been using McAfee for about five or six years, after having two computers virtually made unusable by Norton products. I wouldn't touch Norton with a ten foot pole (or two five foot Lithuanians).
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Bruce,

My main computers are Macs, but I also have a Sony Vaio notebook, running Vista Ultimate, and Comcast. I took advantage of the free McAfee protection and have had no problems with it. I see no reason to not give it a try...you can always delete it if you don't like it.

Say Jim D.

Do you know why the Russians pole their boats down the Volga River?

Hi Bruce I would agree with Stu. My 17 yr old son is a wiz on computers. He left me saying Huh? a couple of years ago as he has surpassed everything that I thought I knew about computers. He loaded Nod 32 on to my system a couple of years ago and it is fantastic.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Do you know why the Russians pole their boats down the Volga River?
    No, Ken. Why?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

The biggest problem I have with McAfee is that once you let it into your system it takes an act of God to remove it

I recently went through this with a friend's wife's computer (he was stationed over seas for a while, and asked me to fix her computer, as she could not, and it was their primary source of communication). We spend hours and hours, safe mode, reboots blah blah blah....

Through a lot of time, effort, and some very good people at various websites helping me out, I eventually was able to figure out that the McAfee had expired and was just simply NOT removable by any means. I had to go into the registry and edit a bunch of stuff (I ran the "Hijack This" program and has some helpful tech guys walk me though it) it was a real mess, the McAfee just simply would NOT die. Programs that you PAY FOR then when you do not want them anymore and you have to move heaven and earth to get rid of them DO NOT impress me.

Google "Can't Remove McAfee" I did, got 104,000 hits

But hey, it is free, for the first year, right, then in a year, you can pay for it......... cause if you don't...........

Just my experiences, you asked, but YMMV
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward