Finish for a child's rocker?

Dan Birnbaum

I started woodworking about 2 years ago and have only ever used polyurethane to finish. Here are some of my projects...
http://www.edit28.com/photos/Wood

We're expecting our first baby this spring. I just completed a mahogany child's rocker and I'm wondering what you guys might recommend for a good finish that will also be safe for a little one. :)

Thanks in advance for any tips!
-dan

Attachments

• DSC_4078b.jpg
    DSC_4078b.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi Dan, and welcome aboard. That's a great-looking rocker (and I also like the other stuff you showed pictures of...cool cradle.) Personally, I think I'd go with more polyurethane on the rocker, mainly for its durability.

By the way, I've edited your username slightly to add a space between your first and last names. The next time you log in, you'll need to include the space, i.e., "Dan Birnbaum" instead of "DanBirnbaum". It keeps the database more consistent that way.

Again, welcome to the clubhouse. Good to have you here. :wave:

Thanks for the replies. I'm going with the poly (go with what you know) and I'll just have to build something different next time so I can learn a new finish!

-dan

Poly is great as it resists the scratches that tykes provide. As for "Safe" Today's finishes will all tell you that after cured, they are all food safe (child proof safe)